Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think their situation is unique, in that they were undefeated and almost everyone else has a loss but a stronger schedule. Kind of an oddity, but also defensible

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like, USC losing is what made it possible.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I wanna say Oklahoma lost their conference championship game in the BCS era one year and stayed in the top 2. But this was a perfect storm of TCU and Ohio State being the only 1 loss teams and USC losing the night before. The bullshit part is if they lose that game in the regular season they drop 3-4 spots regardless of the number of losses everyone else has.

IP likes this.
  4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

They did, and they lost it by 28 points!

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That's right it was 2003. They were so far ahead in the computer weightings they stayed #1 after that ass kicking

6. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

UGA really has no business losing to anyone. Which makes me think someone is going to get them.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is the alternative? A Big Game rematch in round 1? Or putting Bama in ahead of them?

I think they did the best they could in terms of the 4. 4 based on a committee always sucked. Should have been 8 with auto bids for p5 Champs. That takes a lot of the [itch bay]ing out because every p5 school has a sure path.

8. Tar Volon

The SEC wants those sweet, sweet at-large spots though. And for good reason.

I saw someone arguing on Twitter that there are almost always between 1 and 3 elite teams, and so picking a four-team playoff is inevitably an exercise in figuring out which 1-3 good-but-not-elite teams should be the sacrificial lambs. That seems right.

InVolNerable likes this.
  9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Deion at Colorado will be fascinating. I can be convinced it's going to be a trainwreck as much as it will be a great success. I think he'll get some players, but he's going to lose some of the advantages he had at Jackson State.

Tar Volon and NorrisAlan like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

With 8, you have 3 at large bids.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Factor in that it is the Pac-12. 8 wins or more seems pretty achievable with competent coaching.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yep, he is in a cakewalk conference and is going to be able to put a roster together like USC most likely. 8 wins will be pretty easy and I bet he gets 10 at some point before leaving. jmo

IP likes this.
  13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This is cringeworthy

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Colorado's 2023 Spring Football practice preview:

[​IMG]

Indy and IP like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

My HS soccer coach was a former marine drill sergeant and said stuff like that all the time. Basically encouraging us to quit. Charitably, he is saying if you aren't willing to fight for your spot and your school, find another school.

16. Tar Volon

If you have a G5 slot, you have two. In the current system, you have four. Will the SEC realistically ever get four? No, but they were holding the line on “you can’t drop the at-large count.”

17. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

If you're interested...

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

They are really trying to make a meal out of 8-4.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

They made one out of a bloomin' onion

warhammer, NorrisAlan and IP like this.