Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Harsh, yet much needed overall message imo even if it does come across as Deion being unnecessarily cringey and mean. Any new coach in those type of situations should say something like that. I recall reading first hand accounts from those who were around Johnny Majors telling the current Tennessee players at the time essentially the same thing during his introduction meeting: that he desired replacing every single one of them. That he considered all of them to be unwanted and felt it was essential to immediately and clearly communicate to them that they “weren’t his guys” or something of that nature. Changing a culture often isn’t about being “nice”.

Hard to think of another power 5 program that has sunken into the abyss more than the Buffs have these last 20 years. I remember Colorado was actually a very respectable football program when I was a little kid first falling in love with this sport. Ever since then not so much.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Listen, I don't mind him being honest with them about the work thats ahead. It's when he follows it up with the bullshit "I love this institution, bla bla bla" then announcing his son as the QB and the whole [uck fay]ing luggage thing. He'll get his in the Pac, but if he doesn't match that energy with finding the best coaches, and putting his players in the best positions, that well is gonna dry and dry QUICK. It's one thing to be in a tough program like that, but when you're fighting your ass off and still losing because of bad playcalls, bad game management, etc. the frustration begins to build and the transfer portal is always beckoning.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I bet 400 kids have contacted Colorado about the portal

4. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Yeah he’s going to make a killing in the portal this cycle as the shiny new toy

But the flip side is this will put pressure on him to win early if he wants to keep that momentum going in future cycles.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The portal is great to patch a few holes but team chemistry still matters. It's going to be hard to get that right if you're constantly relying on it

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hopefully it will lead to some of the lower tier programs bringing option and different styles back.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

JT Daniels is transferring for the third time. And somehow he may still have two years left.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We shit on Smart a lot, and I love it, but he was adamant after our game that it was because UGA didn't have a lot of transfers and was built through four year recruiting.

We will see if he can keep all his players going forward, because even Bama is leaking players like a sieve.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Man, Jeff George would have played for six schools in this environment.

PilotFlyingJ and justingroves like this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

they all can’t play either and not all will be great when that starts happening

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His Heisman finalist QB is a JUCO transfer, he's a [uck fay]ing idiot

dknash, VolDad and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This. It's good for a few guys but it's not a long term thing if you are grabbing lots of guys. Most of your high school guys come in after camping together and visiting with the team together so the chemistry is already there. Bringing in guys to start over high school guys coming in or over existing guys is not a great long term plan. Has to be the right situation. Imo

IP likes this.
  13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Bama starting using the portal a bit too much and it might bite them.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, you add a guy here and there. Not build a position off of it.

NorrisAlan and zehr27 like this.
  15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Odom leaving to go to UNLV will speed up Pittman's time at Arky. Imo

16. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Id say your spot on. The only way he can come close to matching Odom with a new hire would be pure dumb luck on someone nobody realizes is elite yet.

zehr27 likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Brohm to Louisville it seems.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Is that a step up?

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Going home.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Oh yeah, sometimes I think I am getting dementia.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.