Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Turns out he was a huge 3rd Rock from the Sun fan and you ruined his day by avoiding him

InVolNerable and utvol0427 like this.
  2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I would probably just say "'Sup, Knight" and keep it moving

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is an 8th maxim deep cut. But I appreciate it.

InVolNerable and justingroves like this.
  4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I didn’t get it

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I 'member.

6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I was standing in front of the rock during a campus tour for a group of high schoolers for a college counseling program I’m involved in. Everyone except me was looking at the rock and didn’t notice as he pulled up to the light with his windows down. I just gave a very subtle thumbs and idk why that was so amusing to him but he gave me a very enthusiastic one back.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Ask Catwoman to jog your memory.

warhammer likes this.
  8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think all the big sports media folks have now had some variation of the tweet below in the last week. Why aren't any counting up the number of games being played against HBCU's? What they are really saying is that the SEC should play less HBCU's, in effect. That ought to be called out. If you tallied that list, I bet it would be the inverse of this list of conferences.

Or do they only care when Deion is coaching at one?

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

it is your standard June talking points. Everyone really knows the deal and what it will look like come january.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Again, trickle-down economics in football. It's the only reason a lot of programs exist below the FBS level.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That Olivia Dunne girl is a gold mine for LSU. She is doing most of the recruiting for them.

13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Where's Ace Clement when you need her ?!?

zehr27 likes this.
  14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

"Everyone else is now doing what we've been doing for years and now they are catching up to us. Make it stop, please."

I love that Saban is turning into an insecure little [itch bay] in the few remaining years of his career.

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It’s disappointing how tGOAT coach of the entire sport is nothing more than a whiney, krinkly lil [itch bay].

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Heaven forbid a player get paid more than him

NorrisAlan and ole_orange like this.
  18. HCKevinSteele

Not that recruiting rankings in June mean a damn thing but I was a little surprised to see Bama’s 2024 class sitting at 17th. Maybe the rumors are true and Bama doesn’t have enough money to roll over everyone else on the country the way they did the past 15 years by cheating their balls off.

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I mean seriously though, who are their "big money" donors? Like Auburn has the YellaWood dude everyone knows about. Texas and A&M has all that oil money. Okie State was exclusively funded by that oil tycoon over the years. Arkansas has Jerry Jones and Walmart money. Tennessee has the Haslam family, Witt Lumber guy, Thunder Thorton, ect. everyone knows about.

Maybe I'm just not up to date on Alabama's donor pockets, but I swear the biggest name I can ever remember hearing anyone talk about associated with them is Bryant's son who is only worth like 10-20 million. (lol "only" IK, but relative to big money donors out there associated with these SEC/P5 schools that's poverty wealth)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  20. HCKevinSteele

They’ve got some big boosters that aren’t super well known, but point stands, they aren’t really on the same level as a lot of other top programs in that regard. Historically that hasn’t mattered because they want football success more than anyone else and have a state full of rich and poor that would sell their own children to get it. Maybe NIL throws a wrench into that model.