Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

There is no way the numbers I just posted can be just coincidence. and coaching evaluations and recruiting rankings aren't necessarily separate. offers factor in greatly to recruiting rankings.

Every football program subscribes to every major recruiting service. I agree they aren't using them to decide who they do or do not offer, but to say they are ignoring them completely is just silly. Let's put it this way. Would butch have gotten an extension if recruiting services didn't exist? Do you think he finds them silly. I'm going to guess no.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Also, when a player commits to Alabama as a three star, he seems to magically become a 4 star the next day. it is all a bunch of push/pull, but it eventually washes out and is a pretty good indicator over a population. IMHO.

3. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

No surprise given the coaching turnover and how Michigan has performed. Let's revisit in say, three to four yrs

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

They're for fans. Coaches give zero value to recruiting sites. Entertainment only.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

then why do they all subscribe to them? I'm not suggesting they use it for their final evaluation, but they certainly use it to find prospects out of their main recruiting area and certainly want their classes rated high.

6. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Bullshit. I'm positive coaches use the inordinate amount of film on recruiting sites, and as such, it's very valuable.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 8m8 minutes ago
    Heisman odds: Elliott 6-1 Fournette 15-2 Boykin/Chubb/Prescott 8-1 C.Jones/Kessler 12-1 Golson 14-1 Henry 16-1 Perkins 18-1 via @BovadaLV

I'll take jones for $100. I don't get all these RBs up there. it's what one non qb has won it since 2000? Someone on espn seriously put Utah's rb as a Heisman contender. ridiculous.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, statistics demonstrate what you are saying.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when my coach offers guys out of say Mississippi who he has never met, I'm going to guess he got that lead from searching a recruiting service and yes then doing their own evaluation. I'm also going to guess he's not searching in the 2 star database.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Coaches use their network.

Is there a chance a coach discovers a prospect through a service? Anything is possible, like "once in a blue moon"

Class ranking? Sure it appeals to the recruit and fan but coaches could care less.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Not sure if you're serious or kiddin'.

They obtain film from a variety of sources beginning in-house, from camps, high school coaches, family members, ...

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

come on. they might not think it is accurate for their class, but they absolutely care.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes after they look at the film on the recruiting services and decide they want to see more.

14. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Bragging rights? Sure as a hoot. Possibly may mention when visiting with a recruit and his family.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a "hoot" doesn't get people raises and extensions like it did for butch.

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Ha! You serious, Clark???

17. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

And recruiting ratings did? Okay

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it certainly wasn't his 5-11 record in the SEC.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you seriously think every coach has a connection or video to recruit that is on their board? you are in denial if you don't think these sites are regularly used at least for initial search purposes. I never suggested they are used for the final evaluation.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I never claimed they used the sites. Doesn't have anything to do with my point, really. Call it coincidence or whatever, there is undoubtedly a correlation between the 2.