Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

So why do you think that Utah has been ranked so high? Ahead of Oklahoma? The eye test???? The brutal P12??? No it’s because they’re the only team that’s ranked in the top ten in both offensive and defensive efficiency. the committee chair has said this is the exact reason that they’re ranked ahead of OU.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here's the preseason rankings: https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/week/1

What do you suppose the odds are that for the years of the playoffs, undefeated teams stay in the same order as they started?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You'll see I have very specifically been referring to undefeated teams from the jump when responding to Tenny's question.

4. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

So why shouldn’t Ohio State be ranked ahead of LSU? I mean most of the metrics are dead even, except for one, defense. Ohio State has the number one ranked defense, LSU has the 45th ranked defense. Obviously part of it is the eye test, because if you watch both teams play there’s a glaring weakness for LSU.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I believe every word of this - but like IP, I want someone to show me how the stats support OSU over LSU.

OSU has beaten four (4) ranked teams.
    Cincy #21
    Wisconsin #10
    Penn St., #12
    Michigan, #17
    AVG. RANK: 15th

Of those four (4), three (3) wins were at home.

They’ve beaten exactly one (1) ranked team on the road, Michigan (#17).

They played exactly one (1) ranked opponent - Cincy, #21 - in eight (8) weeks.

LSU
    Has played three (3) ranked teams.

Florida, #7
    Auburn, #11
    Bama, #9
    AVG. RANK: 9th

Two (2) of these three (3) games were at home.

LSU has played exactly one (1) ranked team on the road - manhandling Bama, #9.

They played all three (3) ranked opponents in a 4-game timeframe.

So, LSU’s going to have to knock off both Clemson - the defending national champions and winners of 2 of the last 4 - and while Ohio State plays a trash Utah or Oklahoma team?

What am I missing, here?

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not like LSU has beaten anyone. Not like they beat out of conference Texas. On the road.

Not like they beat top five team after top five team this year.

7. Tenacious D

If that’s more important than who you play and beat - and to be clear, it’s retarded, if true - then why not just play a bunch of FCS teams and get those offensive and defensive stats cranked way up?

You know, how Clemson has done it all season?

8. Tenacious D

Again, I believe and appreciate all of this. I really do.

But that’s why SOS is so important, because OSU would be markedly worse - and LSU enormously better - if these two switched schedules.

This opinion shit reeks of anti-SEC horseshit.

9. Tenacious D

If OSU had to play Barn, Florida, Bama & Georgia in five of six weeks, they’d lose two of those games, minimum.

Minimum. It’d probably be three, depending on home and away.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because the SOS of each respective teams flipped after Michigan and TAMU. Michigan, and Big 10, are a house of cards (as usual). The big ten is 4-5 against other P-5 conferences, with those wins being Purdue over Vanderbilt, Iowa over Iowa St, Penn State over Pitt, and Maryland over Syracuse. Noticing anything? Losses to Arizona St, Colorado and Stanford (0-3 against the Pac 12!). Losses to TCU and Boston College too.

The SEC is 5-5, with wins over Texas, West Virginia, Oregon, Duke, and Miami. Losses to Clemson, North Carolina, Kansas State, California, and Purdue.

When you look at the respective quality of OOC, it is clear that so much of the Big 10 SOS is based on smoke and mirrors.

11. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

According to ESPN, LSU’s strength of schedule is 25th Ohio State‘s is 30th. Strength of record is LSU 1st, Ohio State 2nd. So where’s the glaring difference in their respective schedules? If there was a big difference between these two then I would absolutely support LSU being number 1. Hell I wouldn’t have a huge issue if they were number 1 right now, but it’s obvious why they aren’t.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I thr0w ND in here, it gets even more tilted towards the SEC.

13. Tenacious D

Sure thing, BV - I honestly appreciate it (LSU’s defense is a weakness), understand that you aren’t the committee, and don’t want to now Indy* you.

*Indy: verb;
    Primary; to profess one’s personal ignorance of an issue or topic in actively soliciting the advice, input, ideas and assistance of knowledgeable and/or experienced others, and once received, to then possess the necessary gall / lack any semblance of personal shame in to suddenly claiming a miraculously superior knowledge or experience than those whom you had originally requested, and on that exact topic, followed by spending hours trying to convince everyone that it’s the world who is stupid, and not merely you.
    Secondary; to be a retard.
    Sentence: “That stupid person really Indy’d zipping their pants, having severed their own penis.”

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Alabama going to fall all the way to the citrus bowl.

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Shorty draw for a good bowl, too. Their fans aren’t going to bother.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

LSU should he number one. It doesn’t matter though because Dabo comin.

A-Smith likes this.
  17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

OSU has 23 Heisman Finalist so they are clearly the better team.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He must have damaging info on the Chancellor's children.

20. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod