Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I guess I'm the only person in America excited by this. As much as I enjoy your random midweek 70 to 66 bowl game, I still think this will be more fun.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t hate it. I think it’s better than glorified exhibition games.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

4 is already too many.

InVolNerable likes this.
  4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

'
    it's not about winning the NC anymore it's about access to the playoff. simply making a major bowl isnt' considered a successful season because of the playoff.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

+1 after traditional bowl matchups.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's right, you know. He's right a lot.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I prefer the old bowl system.

However, if you’re gonna go 12 you might as well go 16 and give auto bids to every conference.

InVolNerable likes this.
  8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

theres been some pretty shitty undefeated teams. Like that Hawaii one from a couple of years back.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Flawed. Fundamentally.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

expanding to 4 was to cover for Auburn in 2004, which is the only team that truly got screwed by the old system.

Going to 8 or 12 takes too much away from the regular season that makes college so special

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then do not have a champion.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how so?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It means by default, many teams have no path to a championship in a single season. Even if they win every game.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how many mid majors have won National championships in basketball? Not many and most were years ago with future nba players and highly ranked going in. How many played atrocious schedules and were undefeated? Any?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The answer is "not zero."

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Gonzaga and Wichita St. were undefeated mid-majors in hoops. They didn't win the title, but they had a fair shot. If a Central Florida has an undefeated season, then they should get an opportunity. If they're frauds, it'll be revealed and they won't win. But, Gonzaga went to the title game and Wichita St. lost by 1 to a Kentucky team which went to the final game themselves. So, neither were pretenders. They would've had no chance under the football system.

17. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Should have kept it the same. Any system that screws Auburn is perfect.

InVolNerable, Volst53 and utvol0427 like this.
  18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They deserve a fair shot if they are good like Gonzaga. They don’t deserve a fair shot if they’d be a .500 team in a power 5 like that Hawaii team

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not interested in a system that makes assumptions and doesn't provide an avenue to test them. The Big 10 rankings demonstrate that assumptions should not be trusted. Every year, there is pageantry of that conference being elite, and then bowl season comes.

20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Name them lol.