POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not sure if this belongs here, but not sure where else it would go.

What are your thoughts on speed cameras?

I just got a notification today from the fleet company that manages my company's employee vehicles - 3 camera captured speeding violations, all within a roughly 3 month span from OVER A YEAR AGO. No information other than a date, a dollar amount owed, and a reference number for each. No pictures, no location, no speed limit, no speed that I was driving, no nothing.

My thoughts:
    • The fact that they are all the exact same $$ amount and happened within a 3 month span tells me it's somewhere I drive at least somewhat frequently, yet I have absolutely no idea where it is.

• Shouldn't the point of these sorts of things be to reduce speeding? If you don't tell me I was speeding until 12-15 months later, how the [uck fay] am I supposed to learn? It seems incredibly reasonable that if they had sent me the first violation back in July of 2020 when it happened, the second violation 3 weeks later in August, as well as the 3rd violation in October probably wouldn't have happened. I get that there was a pandemic, but that's not really my problem.

• I've been driving for 14 years. I've been pulled over by a police officer twice for speeding, and neither time resulted in a ticket. That's a grand total of 0 speeding tickets from police officers in 14 years of driving. I now have 5 camera-caught speeding violations since starting this job in 2018, and with how late these violations came out, who knows how many I've racked up for 2021.
    And that doesn't even dig in to the plethora of other problems with speed cameras. In the end, I know they're really only there to rake in the $$$. Just hard to understand how something that's so unpopular with the general public can exist like this.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    IP likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

They increase accidents as well. There is probably a way to execute them better, but as they are run in the US they are only negative.

Did the notification have a web address for you to check? Usually that is how you view a video or see a picture. You need to check, because they do make mistakes.

Maryland is a [uck fay]ing wasteland of those cameras.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I have no problem with the concept of these cameras, but their execution is pretty shitty.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The red light cams have never got me but the ZTL camera in Siena did. I made a wrong turn and knew it. Got a ticket in the mail like 15 months later.

if I hadn’t had google maps I’d still be driving around in there

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Don't care for them here. I got flashed once when in Germany a few weeks before I left, but I didn't see the ticket. I'm sure it will make it's way to me (probably with enough melodrama from my employer to make me horselaugh the person who forwards it), but who knows how long it will take. I've not run into it here, but nothing makes me confident that it will ever be implemented in a way that isn't overly taxing (pun fully intended).

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

When we are all riding in self-driving pods, I wonder what police departments are going to do for money?

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, most of what I've read says that the negatives they create far outweigh the positives.

I've received some additional info since my initial post. Supposedly, the vehicle is registered to my company, so the violations are sent there. Wheels (the fleet company) only saw them now because when they went to renew the registration, the violations were causing a suspension on the registration. So they paid them and billed.

Still no picture or video. Not even a speed that I was driving. They basically forwarded me their payment confirmation. So it's not like I can even contest it. They essentially admitted fault for me.

To add to the [uck fay]ery of the whole thing, the tickets themselves are only $42.50 each. So Wheels paid $127.50 total and is now charging me like, $263.85. $25 processing fee for each. $20 payment fee for each. More than double. Send me the [uck fay]ing tickets and let me pay them myself, you [uck fay]ing leeches.

Oh, and remember my guess about this being a place nearby and all 3 tickets likely coming from the same spot? They all came from a couple miles down the road. Same exact spot each time. So, again, tell me I got the first ticket, and I likely don't get the second or third. But that's not really the PD or local govt's fault. It's just due to the annoying way the process is set up to not send stuff to me, the driver.

Lastly, a funny aside to all this - prior to these 3 violations, I've had 2 other speed camera violations, both of which were while my fiancee was driving. I've looked at my schedule from back in 2020, and I didn't have appointments on any of these 3 days when my car was apparently speeding, leading me to believe there's a solid chance my fiancee was driving these 3 times as well. To make it even more funny, we are getting a new company car, so we went to test drive a RAV4 the other night. We drove to the spot where this camera is, and the GPS told us there was a speed camera ahead. She literally made the comment "Oh, wow, I had no idea there was a speed camera here!" If she really did get these 3 as well, that's $553.85 in speed camera violations that she's racked up.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don't think you are required to pay them in Tennessee. They bill you and all, but if you don't pay them, nothing happens. I think.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nothing happens if you don’t pay them in Tennessee. I know.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Calling Manchin's house boat in DC a "yacht" is just flat out inaccurate. It is a house boat. Why juice things with hyperbole? A house boat and slip can be done for well under 400k, whereas the median house/dwelling in the DC area is well north of 600k. He lives on a house boat in DC because it is cheaper than the million dollar condos near his work. I am not a fan of the man. I disagree with him on a lot. But it ain't a yacht. That is all.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, looks like he got it for a steal at first glance.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Damn, DeSantis’s wife diagnosed with breast cancer. That’s sad.

zehr27 likes this.
  14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So Bernie is willing to condemn the harassment of Kyrsten Sinema.... but only if, in the same statement, they include language pushing her to change her political stances. So, in other words, harassment is bad, unless the person being harassed disagrees with Bernie, in which case harassment is okay.

You'd think the guy who had a follower shoot up a congressional baseball game would be a little quicker to condemn this sort of stuff, having seen first hand how it can quickly escalate and go a step too far.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So what exactly did this Sage Steele lady do/say to get suspended/canned?

I get that you can't necessarily criticize your employer like that and expect to remain employed, but is that really it? Or am I missing something.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

She's like a female Clay Travis

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Poor woman’s Candace Owens.

justingroves likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Explain the point to me like you would to an ignorant person who knows very little about either of these people, their politics, or the things they said that led to these statements.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator