POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. The problem with being progressive is the same thing which makes us exist, the belief in the need for social progress/change. A lot of competing ideas for what this means, though, and a lot of fragmentation on a various issues. Conservatism is status quo, which is much easier to define and organize.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  2. juicemane

juicemane Member

Dave Portnoy, of all people, summed it up in his Twitter rant after the decision yesterday. “This is why we have to vote for morons like Biden.”

The democrats may never put forth another presidential candidate that I like or find inspiring in any way, but it’s the only choice as long as the opposition has the end game of imposing religious fundamentalism on an increasingly non religious nation.

gcbvol, zehr27, SetVol13 and 2 others like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It'll be 30 years, minimum.

5. fl0at_

The Bible Belt just dictated to the rest of the country.

SEC! SEC!

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was thinking of the number of people who will die because of this, but then realized no one who doesn't already care will start caring because we already did this with bigger death numbers and COVID.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

yea nothing says dictating to the rest of the country like freeing up the states to, idk, draw up legislation and vote on it

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I remember when Republicans were up in arms about the ObamaCare "death panels" that were going to kill people off by denying them medical treatment. Now they're celebrating that very thing.

9. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Exactly. It should've been up to the states to decide if slavery was actually a bad a thing and if non-whites have rights, too. Interracial marriage? Consensual sex outside of marriage? Contraception? States should get to decide if those are permitted despite being "natural rights" like those guns.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    utvol0427, Poppa T, SetVol13 and 2 others like this.
  10. fl0at_

I'm not a citizen of the state I'm in. I'm a citizen of the country.

Further fragmenting the laws of the country, is, idk, dictating to the country that we're nothing more than citizens of a state.

IP likes this.
  11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yeah, and the GOP has already indicated they'll push for a federal ban if they regain control of both houses, which they likely will along with the presidency.

IP likes this.
  12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The house is going to flip but with what happened yesterday I think the Senate stays Dem. Imo

13. fl0at_

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas says gay rights, contraception rulings should be reconsidered after Roe is overturned

* Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas said landmark high court rulings that established gay rights and contraception rights should be reconsidered now that the federal right to abortion has been revoked.
    * Thomas wrote that those rulings “were demonstrably erroneous decisions.”
    * The cases he cited are Griswold vs. Connecticut, in which the Supreme Court said married couples have the right to obtain contraceptives; Lawerence v. Texas, which established the right to engage in private sexual acts; and Obergefell v. Hodges, which said there is a right to same-sex marriage.
    * The Supreme Court tossed out Roe v. Wade, which established abortion as a constitutional right.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He is a complete [uck fay]tard. And anyone that thinks that way is a complete [uck fay]tard, and I will call you a [uck fay]tard to your face.

utvol0427 likes this.
  15. fl0at_

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967), was a landmark civil rights decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that laws banning interracial marriage violate the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

16. fl0at_

Pieces of shits are going to dismantle any due process clause ruling they dislike, and just ignore all the others.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If a challenge to Loving v Virginia ever made its way to the SC would Thomas have to recuse himself? Would almost like to see it happen just for the side show, but current court would probably vote 5-4 to overturn interracial marriage.

18. fl0at_

I would love for anyone that thinks states should decide this give the argument why interracial marriage would stay but these others should go. They are all based on the same due process argument.

I think some blue state should do it, just for the shit show and put it in front of Thomas. They won't, but they should shove it down the court's throat to expose the hypocrisy that is them, and their red state followers.

IP likes this.
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

They'll pray to magic flood man for you, Alan.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This is exactly what I noticed about this, too. Scalia used to do the same thing. When it conflicts with his personal views, then the judicial philosophy espoused goes out the window. We've had 30 [uck fay]ing years of this snake, too, and we're going to get thirty plus from the Trump trio.