POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I find that very cynical. Normal thought, of course, but cynical. 90% of politics doesn't make the news, other than C-SPAN. And few people are watching C-SPAN.

It's like judging a business by its advertising, and not its product. The public appearances, and all that.. that's the advertisement.

200+ years of democracy that shattered an empire, relative peace and safety and self governance... that's the product.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You keep pretending that I'm ignoring the rest of the story. I'm not. I've already acknowledged it in this thread.

I don't know what you're reading that tells you AOC did help her abuela on her own. Her last tweet in the thread says "my abuela is doing okay... She had a place to go and be cared for." Where do you see that AOC did anything, at all, to help her abuela?

Look, I don't know the full situation either, but something doesn't add up. The hurricane hit 4 years ago. AOC is there for the first time in a year+ and sees/posts about the condition of the house, as if this is the first she's learned of it. If abuela's house is in this condition now, surely it has been in this condition since the hurricane actually hit, right? Otherwise, how can you blame the hurricane? And if it's been four years, how has AOC not known about it/taken care of it? She has the means to do so, but she'd rather [itch bay] about how the government should have fixed it by now?

Point out the negative situation that a lot of Puerto Ricans are in all you want, and leave your bs story about your grandmother out of it. Problem solved. Recognize and call attention to other, legitimate victims without trying to play the victim yourself.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And systemic racism. Can't forget the systemic, institutionalized racism.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

$100k sounds like some pretty solid fruit to me. Walsh even said himself that they could have fixed her situation and then applied the rest of the funds to help others. But you call that malice?

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not to you, the hungry. If you turn away the sandwich given to you by someone else because I was supposed to feed you, then you're not truly hungry.

Are you really trying to argue that the need of the hungry man is not food, but the obligation of the government to feed him? Yikes.

I'm not going to play your stupid word games, but this one looks to be, by far, one of your most stupid.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This makes no sense

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Oh, so he got that money back together and got it to Puerto Rico? Or, he did it as a stupid stunt?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  8. Unimane

You don't know what transpired the last four years and it's quite effective to use personal stories to make a greater point. Animus towards AOC perhaps drive your perception here? You have zero knowledge this is a BS story. Zero.

However, she states her grandmother was suffering, then she found out, and now she's fine. Stands to reason she was taken care of by her granddaughter and others.

9. fl0at_

Yes, it wasn't an all inclusive list, but systemic racism was and still is demonstratively present.

10. fl0at_

That is not true, at all. There are a number of reasons why I would turn away food from some third party:

1. I might not trust you, and therefore I can't trust the food you are providing.
    2. I might not be able to eat the food you are offering.
    3. I might be too prideful to accept your charity
    4. I might believe that if I accept the food, that others don't have an option to get, that I have acted out of place (this is the concept of survivor's guilt).

No, I've successfully argued that. I get that you don't understand it, but I doubt you understand the above four points, either, because if you did, you wouldn't have said something as profoundly stupid as "then you're not truly hungry," when, as just these (4) simple cases show, there are reasons not to accept and stil be "truly hungry."

11. fl0at_

So you think 90% of politics is the stuff that takes place outside the Capital building?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/19/us/politics/republican-states.html

The level of partisanship in Arkansas and Georgia is staggering. How can Arkansas say that they are changing the rules because the only recourse in one county would be to hope a democrat attorney general would take action, and not see that if you flip the names around they are creating a circumstance where the entire state is under GOP control with no checks and balances whatsoever? And how can someone with a straight face reply to concerns of election interference with "the members will face the voters"... No they won't, potentially. That's the point!

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is exactly how Putin rules Russia, and how the Chinese Communist Party runs China. One party rule.

14. Unimane

The Arkansas legislator who wrote a bill allowing the state election commission, comprising 6 Reps and one Dem, to institute "corrective action" also stated "I do believe Donald Trump was elected president.". It's an insane power play by people living in a fantasy land of lies now making the rules to bend the elections towards their delusions.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Would you be OK with just the Democratic party running the US and the GOP no longer existing?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

absolutely not, that would be horrible.

zehr27 likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

VolDad likes this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

20. fl0at_

The real test is going to be the one that speaks on whether they can get paid for likeness and the rest.

This one stayed largely related to academic concerns. The no cap on internships is nice, though, as that's a black door payment method.