POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

He gave up after the joke. Despite Kayne repeatedly breaking those anti-free speech Elon railed against for months. I gave a when.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If you want to know my why, its because he's a racist POS a [dadgum] moron, and refuse to be healed by Elon. The stuff he was banned for was tolerated for a little while because Elon was trying to rescue him. But Kanye didn't want to be saved.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

There isn't the transparency to really know what any of these things mean in context. E.g., if there are more users, as he also says, impressions could be expected to go down as bots that only crawl on big follower account comments go up and dilute the hate posts.

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea agreed that the graphic potentially is missing a lot of context, just seemed like a discussion enhancing relevant tweet to include in this thread

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think his intentions are generally good, but social media is just inherently complicated and unpredictable to deal with. Not unlike rockets or batteries or cars, but with more of a human element that is very different.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I am kinda cynical about any type of “hate speech” metrics on tech platforms like Twitter too, irregardless of the source the data comes from. I’m just not 100% sold “hate speech” in the broader sense is a reliably quantifiable metric considering the inherent subjectiveness surrounding the term. Like do tweets like “[uck fay] YT people” count as “hate speech”? What is and is not considered hate speech can get very tricky when you pull back all the layers

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well for the purposes of a temperature check, I'd think you would go broad. Like Musk talking about "negative posts." That's a decent operating principle to aim for that will reduce hate speech without worrying about whether someone thinks a particular thing is hate speech or not. If it is negative and pointed at a person or people, it is disfavored by the algorithm. Doesn't fix everything but it is a good idea.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think they should do a study of the peaks and valleys surrounding every Dan Wolken tweet

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The so called “Twitter Files” Musk green-lit are dropping now. Allegedly these drops will transparently show how Twitter “interfered with the 2020 election”. Not sure how prolonged these drops will be. “My side” is frenzied over these drops, and maybe rightfully so in some elements, but I’m withholding my own overall opinion until I read through everything that is released.

Biggest stinker I’ve seen so far are emails purportedly showing the Biden campaign sending emails to Twitter demanding certain accounts be banned, which they obliged. Pretty crappy if one presidential candidate had the influence to banish accounts they deemed too adversarial. If fully true, it’s definitely unethical, however no clue really if it’s something that is actually illegal. Probably not tbh.

However at the risk of just being flat out wrong because I’m still organizing my overall thoughts on all this, I think the disconnect many on “my side” will fail to fully understand is similar to what I said earlier about the 1st Amendment: Twitter isn’t the US Government. If they were in the tank for a particular candidate as an organization and wanted to tilt the algorithmic tables in favor of Team Biden, which I fully believe they did, it was their prerogative to do so. Did Twitter ultimately play a huge role in influencing the outcome of the election? I think it’s reasonable to argue that their decisions definitely impacted the election. But again it’s their company. Their rules of how the game was played in 2020 on their site. Maybe since they were a publicly traded company in 2020 there’s regulatory issues surrounding that I’m not aware of, but I don’t initially believe that to be the case.

It’s all interesting if anything. The mainstream idea Twitter is the vessel of an individual’s 1st amendment right is nothing but a myth.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I have read through most of it so far and it's really nothing.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It seems to me that the takeaway isn't about one party. Both parties as well as celebrities essentially made special requests and got them. Not great, but not illegal and not surprising.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Imagine if William Randolph Hearst was alive today.

15. Equine Ducklings

Equine Ducklings New Member

Insane? What’s insane is that the world’s 26 richest people control more wealth than four billion people, that paid sick leave and healthcare aren’t guaranteed to every citizen of the most wealthy nation in history. Heaven forbid we disrupt the economy in the name of human dignity.

These are skilled workers with leverage. If they unite and refuse to tolerate totalitarianism we all benefit.

“I do not see how it is possible for a man to die worth fifty million of dollars, or ten million of dollars, in a city full of want, when he meets almost every day the withered hand of beggary and the white lips of famine. How a man can withstand all that, and hold in the clutch of his greed twenty or thirty million of dollars, is past my comprehension. I do not see how he can do it. I should not think he could do it any more than he could keep a pile of lumber on the beach, where hundreds and thousands of men were drowning in the sea.”
    ― Robert G. Ingersoll

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

You are spot on regarding lack of understanding on the first. People have no [uck fay]ing clue, including many politicians (even if they understand but are playing to their bases). And Elon claiming yesterday's release indicated government interference and thus first amendment fracture was completely wrong. This stuff, whether misunderstanding or willful misinformation, is dangerous in today's political climate.

We all need to be better and educate ourselves

Poppa T likes this.
  17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

‘We’ need to disrupt what? Who is this ‘we’ you refer to? Nobody wants a weird ass Marxist Communist revolution or whatever the hell you are trying to advocate for these days.

Also assuming you are actually Sab, why do you even care how people who work for a living handle their affairs? You don’t even participate in the labor force yourself, yet you are convinced you represent what is best for the common working man. You won’t be disrupting shit spending all day every day Tweeting into the abyss. Copy and paste quotes from Robert Ingersoll all you want as if that actually enhances your point. At the end of the day I really doubt you are convincing the 12 or so people who even read this sub-political forum to go to battle with you tweeting at MAGA bots all day in the name of advocating for a far left wing revolution of the American system.

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

We really do have to get better as a country making sure everyone who gets a public education actually learns at the very least the basics of American civics. The general lack of awareness on the most basic aspects of the American government is astounding. Most people can’t even conceptualize the checks and balances created by our 3 separate yet equal branches of the federal government. Or they are convinced that impeachment of a president is the same thing as convicting and removing from office. The phrase “X violated my freedom of speech!” especially grinds my gears when whatever being complained about involves something that has nothing to do with the actual US government

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    justingroves, gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

To no one's real surprise:

UGA
    Mich
    TCU
    tOSU

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

So with Trump's constitution comments, I think DeSantis could beat him and then reunite the Republican base heading into 2024. At this moment, it is hard to imagine Trump withstanding an actual conservative's challenge.

VolDad likes this.