Read this gem on the cal sports board and feel my pain

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Oct 12, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think they (the so-called majority of the CFB World) have tremendous respect for Jeff Tedford, the person. There are no scandals at Cal and lasting this long at Cal looks like a case of simple Loyalty, not Ironclad Contracts (some argue it's the latter so who knows).

I also believe that the majority think JT is the best we can hope for since Cal is an Academic school with very little (modern) football history, the PAC-12's version of Virginia or Northwestern if you will.

Plus, the "QB Guru" label/stigma from 10 years ago has served him well over the years and he's given the benefit of the doubt. Everytime Aaron Rodgers throws a pass in the NFL, it helps JT's reputation indirectly.

However, about Jeff Tedford, the in-game decision-maker? Maybe SkyBear has a point. I don't know if the "majority of the CFB World" (hard to sample) sees what would be considered coaching flaws, but you never know.

Sure a lot of donors suddenly willing to discuss Tedford's future - Page 8 - The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7

I love the theory that we are an academic school when our grad rate is well below that of arizona state and we let in pretty much anyone. My god I hate being a cal fan.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I missed this post before it:

The great majority of the college footbal world has tremendous respect for Jeff Tedford, and show him infinitely more respect than do we here on this board.

Serenity now!

I don't know whose these idiots talk to, but every opposing fan I've ever talked to doesn't understand why we haven't fired the guy years ago.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Northwestern has shared multiple Big 10 titles in the "modern era" and makes a bowl almost annually now. I feel your pain, oski. Those posts confirm the impressions I've had about most of the Cal fanbase for some time.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd be semi OK with that type of talk if we actually had northwestern standards, but currently we are starting a qb who had a 2.3 GPA at buffalo. Our grad rate is something like 90th in the country. Who are we kidding? We've taken guys USC literally wouldn't take as long as 20 years ago, so this ain't new. Compare that with the geographic advantages we have over the two schools listed and it makes you want to become a bandwaggon fan of another school and forget your alma mater.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Most of my knowledge of the Cal fanbase originates with hippies living in trees around the stadium, so my impression of them has actually improved from reading that.

droski, of course, is top notch and probably does not live in a tree full time.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If Northwestern, who cuts athletes less of an admissions break than anyone in a major conference, can win there's no reason for any program to claim their admissions standards are an impediment to being competitive.