"Recently" extinct creatures comin' back?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Feb 27, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I think the idea would be put them in Siberia or Antarctica, both of which have plenty of space largely devoid of humans. I still think it's a pointless idea.

2. kidbourbon

(1)
    But they're all dead. Nostalgia isn't a justification.

I don't see how the time and effort is really worth it. And it sounds like it would take a great deal of effort:

s.

(2)
    Are they delicious to eat?

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

nothing to eat in antartica. not sure about siberia.

4. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

dodo's were delicious, i've read.

5. kidbourbon

Read where? Dodos ain't been around for a long while.

6. kidbourbon

What did they eat in the Ice Age? They're herbivores.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Portuguese sailors and captains documented that dodos were, in fact, delicious. Also, they were easy to catch. Trap one, then hold it upside down by the legs. It would make a "doe-doe! Doe-doe!" sound that other members of the species would respond to, emerging from the bushes to help. Bagged them by the dozens if you could catch just one. They had no fear of humans or any other creature because they had evolved on an island devoid of predators of any kind. So we ate them all with all the difficulty of lifting a KFC bucket.

Passenger pigeons were, similarly delicious. When the flocks were large, settlers and farmers would walk outside and just fire their gun into the air, 2 or more birds would fall out of the sky, as the bullet literally could not miss hitting a few. They were apparently good eating, which is part of the sadness many felt when the birds that blotted out the sun in their numbers were completely gone within a generation or two.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

No mammoths have ever ever been found in Antarctica, Australia, or South America.

In Siberia, they ate grasses, flowers, etc. In fact, they apparently had a taste for certain flowers that may have increased the rate of tooth decay in mammoths and led to premature deaths for those with such sweet tooths.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If they want to revive dead specie, I'm cool with it, so long as it is kept in a closed in space of sufficient size, with an attached plastic explosive that detonates if the animal strays X distance from its enclosure.

10. kidbourbon

I don't know exactly how this works, but it sounds like they were "trapped" by very large numbers, And that the species was susceptible to this because they rolled with BIG entourages.

11. kidbourbon

[video=youtube;M8_5b1wasG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8_5b1wasG8[/video]

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

~64 years. That has to be some sort of record for extincting an entire animal species.

13. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

stellar's sea cow was extinct 27 years after it was discovered, by "the man."

apparently some think that they may have already been on the way out because of indigenous people over hunting otters. less otters meant more sea urchins, which meant less kelp, which meant less sea cows. add whitey and it was exacerbated.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  14. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

fyp

15. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

[​IMG]

that face. lol

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's as serious as ebola.

17. kidbourbon

Which is serious business.

18. JayVols

Dang skippy.

19. JayVols

3D printers will bring back the dinosaurs.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Russians would shoot the shit out of them.