Reliving the Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 25, 2019.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah but still

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They are Butch Jones fool's gold, though.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'll always wonder if Leach could pull anything off with the toys he would have had at his disposal he had not had before. It's doubtful, but I can't help but wonder.

4. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Pruitt's biggest challenge has been changing the culture. We seem to be making some progress on that(guys like JJ have helped enormously). We definitely needed more Alpha dogs.

Memtownvol likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Leach with Jennings, Callaway and Palmer would have been something

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it’s very hard to recruit to Oklahoma City. I’m not saying he would have won NCs, but I think he would have been a good hire

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

leach would have won 8-10 games a year. The one thing I’ve noticed about him is that he gets absolutely owned by teams with good secondaries and good DCs. Wilcox has held wsu to like 9 points a game since he’s been at cal and Peterson has owned the shit out of him too.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I thought OKC was a pretty cool place. I mean, if you're from LA I guess not, but compared to the shit town I live in ...

droski likes this.
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The only thing else he has to prove is to win a national championship.

What he's able to do at the shit holes he goes too, is truly amazing. It's not my style of football, but I respect the hell out of the teacher that he is

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Meh, he'd consistently lose the games that matter and our fans would wear mullet wigs and be content with it

droski likes this.
  11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I wonder who he would have back there pulling the trigger. I don't know if JG would barely see the field.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Same here. And force him to get a top tier DC. And maybe give up his outside WR coach for another D assistant.

But I was definitely excited when I heard his name, and even more so when it came out that we had him. Pruitt seemed like taking a step back, and I was pissed.

I’m still not 100% sold on him, but I have gotten back to a point where I know the start times of games before game day again and can get some enjoyment out of watching games. Seeing a team with some fight in them, a team play that actually cares about winning and about the team and teammates makes it is enjoyable, even if they aren't world beaters, yet. Right now, I’m giving the majority of the credit for that team attitude to JJ though; it’s unbelievable how he not only never lost the killer attitude, but was electric enough to get everyone else to follow suit. Hopefully, it will carry over into next year as well.

Tenacious D likes this.
  13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I really think he didn't do shit until he was forced to fire butch after the Missouri game. He said he'd evaluate after the season, and by God he was going to evaluate after the season. Then Mizzou forced him by beating the dog shit out of us. And then he found a guy he liked in Greg Schiano, and the fans and the players and the University could suck it up and like it. After all, he was the Haslams guy; he didn't have to take anything else into account.

I was at the Southern Miss game, down on the field, watching Butch go through his silly horseshit warmup routine. I told my wife then that the replacement hire had probably been made. At the very least they would be very far down the road with a couple of candidates, working out the details. Butch was dead and had been since UK. I was wrong, way wrong, because Currie thought he could treat the UT football situation just like he would treat Volleyball or Cross-country, waiting until the season ended, doing whatever in the hell he wanted, and not explaining himself to anybody.

[uck fay] that guy.

Tenacious D and A-Smith like this.
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i thought it was kind of a dump. So was Norman, but Oklahoma has the tradition and they can’t compete with them recruiting wise. It’s amazing to me that even Oklahoma gets guys who can go to tcu or texas.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I wanted Leach. Happy where we are at today though. Seeing more orange again too.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I come from a town like that. I've been to OKC. I'll stick with my town.

Edit: I didn't think it was terrible necessarily. I just didn't see any reason to want to live or move there unless you were from there.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I haven’t been to many places that I didn’t like, for what they were, but living somewhere is a different ball game

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. Paris, France
    2. Philadelphia

Tenacious D likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Never been to Philly and didn’t get enough Paris to really judge

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

They don’t speak Italian there, so you’d hate it.

Tenacious D, A-Smith and PilotFlyingJ like this.