Rent

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The other unit is two doors down from me and has the same view of the Target, Harris Teeter, Panera, Mission BBQ, Dublin Donuts, various other stores within 2 blocks of where we live, and the water of the harbor.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yup. Wasn’t even an option, and we looked at 8 different buildings.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Again, I don’t think you understand what I’m saying. While it seems like “keeping units rented,” should be the number one goal, they don’t seem to be driven by that alone. They literally told me I would have to pay $250 more per month to commit to an additional month term.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Units are exactly the same, from all those perspectives. They showed me the unit two doors down a couple months back because my unit was still occupied at the time. It made sense because the other unit was exactly the same, except it had a den added on to one end.

The $500 cheaper unit is the same from an amenities, upgrades standpoint. The two differences would be that it doesn’t have the same view as mine, but it is positioned a decent amount closer to the parking garage. But regardless, I’m comparing the current price for this one to its price a month or so ago to get the $500 difference.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. And I don’t understand how things can work that way when current tenants are able to see what is being offered to new tenants. It’s to the point where I’m pretty sure I can call down, cancel my lease, pay the penalty, move into the $500 cheaper unit for 15 months and save money in the long run.

That doesn’t make sense. The rent prices seem to be completely arbitrary.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Then do it.

InVolNerable likes this.
  8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That’s what I’ve seen in Houston - looks like they’re fine just to let it sit empty before negotiating.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If the price was acceptable a month ago I don't see how anything has changed.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That's almost my escrow payment

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

School districts and registration in the summer.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If they cant offer someone a better deal due to fair housing as you say, how is it your neighbors got a better deal.

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He’a saying they can’t offer specific individuals, but you can offer to everyone.

Which is to say I can’t offer to lend something to everyone for $50 but you specifically for $25.

But I can do everyone $50 in July, and everyone $25 in August.

Ssmiff likes this.
  14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Those Irish doughnuts any good?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

When is the last time you rented an apartment in a growing city?

lol, "negotiate." With who? The property manager that is paid by the hour and will be gone in 3 months?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have. It really is the way the game is now.

And-- sometimes-- you don't even have to move. Just cancel, pay penalty, resign, and ask if your old unit is available.

17. Ssmiff

Been awhile. Just seems silly that others get a different deal. Doesnt sound fair at all.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not. Free markets can be rough. but what can you do?

19. Ssmiff

Call it not so fair housing.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sounds like they wanted to give him a better deal and were specifically prevented from doing so because that market isn’t so free.