Rent

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Fair at time of purchase.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would that be a market decision?

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Which decision?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Changing the rate to another after a contract was signed.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I have not seen a single school age child in our complex since moving in a month ago.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes, which is why I created this thread.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like a market decision to me. Fewer people apartment hunting. Demand is down. Price goes down.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's the market, not your building. This is the same around here, and was the same in Denver. People tend to move in the summer. Like you did.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

But he already had a contract for 15 months. Giving him a discount wouldn't make sense. He already "bought."

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was under the impression the discount was improperly offered prior to him signing the lease.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I get it. But I’m not just renting the unit during the summer. I’m renting it for the next year.

It just doesn’t make much sense that my rent for October, November, December, January, etc. should be so much higher just because I moved in during August rather than September.

It’s almost like rent should vary depending on the month.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

1"]It's the market, not your building. This is the same around here, and was the same in Denver. People tend to move in the summer. Like you did.[/QUOTE]

And you are telling me it would do me no good to go to 4 apartments with cash or check in hand for first and last months rent, or first 3 months, or 6 months, as by law they cant give me a month free or last months price?

I have a hard time believing that.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It makes plenty of sense if you are the renter.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

We moved in February specifically to get the lower rent. I'm not telling you it is fair or makes sense, I am just confirming that this is a thing.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well yeah, obviously.

I’d be extremely interested to see which companies truly own/run each of the 8 buildings we looked at.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they were all owned/run by 1-2 companies. And if that’s the case, is the “market” really making the decisions?

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, it sounds like you and I are on the same page.

In the end, I had to move when I did because of work, and I can afford the rate I’m currently paying.

So it is what it is, but the principal of the matter is enough to make me consider cancelling and re signing in a different unit. Because [uck fay] them.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wasn't telling you that. I don't know of a place that doesn't REQUIRE first and last month's rent, as well as a deposit. Not from an established company. If you are renting from a person as an LLC, you might be able to get a deal. From a building? No, I don't think so. They must rent for the rate advertised. If you are renewing your rent, you can get deals by offering to pay a bunch up front or whatever.

Again, I am not telling you something is impossible. But in my experience, it is unlikely.

Indy likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I were you, I would consider it. But also keep in mind a 15 month lease means this is a cycle with a built-in exit. Just depends on how the math works out whether it will be worth it to you to break this lease and pay the penalties for the cheaper rent.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Are you saying that because demand for bathing suits is low in n December that they should be sold cheaply in June?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Many places will let you go month to month after completing a lease, but usually you get screwed on that.