POLITICS Reparations

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Indy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ready, go!

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

first of all, it’s a terrible idea.

Secondly, how we gonna do it? The sheer mechanics of it are mind-boggling

tvolsfan and GahLee like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love your post. It's perfectly backwards. "The sheer mechanics of it are mind-boggling" Oh. What are they? "Secondly, how we gonna do it?" Oh. So your mind is boggled because you don't know the idea. "first of all, it's a terrible idea." I see. the idea that boggles your mind with the sheer mechanics you don't even know is, FIRST OF ALL, a terrible idea.

That's amazing. Good talk. Very reasonable.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes! More of this, please!

warhammer likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i, uh, don’t follow

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems like a smart move by the Democrats.

They’re about to most likely roll out either one of two old white guys or an older white woman as their nominee for president.

Push this issue to hopefully get the black vote out way better than 2016.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is a beyond ridiculous idea and I have no idea why it keeps coming up other than to pander for votes.

8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This. How much is enough? Who actually gets the money? Does it nullify any and all other racial set-asides and quotas? How do you go about presenting evidence that you actually qualify for “reparations”? What happens when the money is spent and it doesn’t better the lives of the recipients? Do they get to come back and demand more money? Who actually has to pay? Only the white people who can be proven to have been descendants of slaveholders or will all of us honkies have to pony up, even if we immigrated well after the Civil War ended?....

The whole idea is ridiculous and frankly, insulting. It says that blacks (150 plus years after the fact, mind you...) are incapable of getting along in life or making anything of themselves unless they get special, preferential treatment that no one else is privy to.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Y’all go on ahead and tell me how I have no right to speak on the issue because I’m white... I’m expecting the slings and arrows any ‘ole minute now...

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What about people with one black parent and one white parent, do they get half?

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm glad it's being talked about now, finally, even if has no chance of ever passing. I also wish it weren't called slavery reparations because this allows people to relievedly and summarily dismiss it as the far past and unrelated to anyone in our lifetimes. However, the economic exploitation of black people extended far beyond slavery in numerous ways and sanctioned by governments and civil authorities. Well into the 20th century, black businesses, homes, money, jobs, etc. were stolen or taken from them arbitrarily, both in the north and south. I think there is a case to be made for reparations in this regard, if you include the extensive and pervasive economic exploitation of black people through the segregation era. This is a pretty good rundown by Ta-Nehisi Coates, in my opinion:

Again, this is all just a show, though a necessary discussion. There's zero chance it happens and I don't know how it would be parceled out, anyway.

What should have happened was to confiscate the land of all slave owners and redistribute them to former slaves after the Civil War and then actually hold to the advances made during the Reconstruction Era in the face of Redeemer reclamation of governments. Unfortunately, it went the other way and we still have the remnants of these problems we've been finally attempting to seriously address since, roughly, the 1950s.

Tar Volon likes this.
  12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Well, it will actually be buying votes, and using taxpayer money to do it.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lol

GahLee likes this.
  14. Unimane

Why not? They committed treason by rebelling against the government in order to maintain the system of free labor by enforced servitude. Sounds like reasonable restitution to me to have those slaves get the land.

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

You could argue reparations already exist with college admission standards based on race and affirmative action.

The entire idea is to pander and essentially buy votes. It is what Dems do to blacks every voting cycle. You'll notice that this isn't a point of emphasis when there isn't an election to be had. Dems use blacks and more specifically, poor people and dispose of them like the trash they think they are once the ballot boxes are closed.

Same as it ever was.

16. GahLee

You get a gift card to Foot Locker to buy some Jordan's. This is how Dems meme.

17. GahLee

You are right on the money.

18. Unimane

Right on the money as in not one person has said this?

NashVol11 likes this.
  19. Unimane

It's an election year? My calendar must be off. And, college admissions based upon race is reparations for slavery and segregation? Sweet Jesus.

20. GahLee

The whole idea is ridiculous and frankly, insulting. It says that blacks (150 plus years after the fact, mind you...) are incapable of getting along in life or making anything of themselves unless they get special, preferential treatment that no one else is privy to.

This is what I am referring to.