Rick Barnes is Who I Thought He Was

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And that is a rich man's Butch Jones. He has done a nice job building this team up, but this makes three times now that he's done what he was known for doing at Texas, choking. That's three times his teams this team has had their balls shrivel up when ahead for a good win only to be followed by stagnant offenses, dumb plays, turnovers, etc. The team is an extension of the coach. He's been a stabilizing force for the program, but I hope it's only for a few more years. We aren't winning anything of note, including more than one NCAA tourney game, under him.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Good gracious.

3. Ssmiff

I don't do well with emotional basket cases

4. Unimane

Then [uck fay] off if you think reality is emotional.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You don’t like Barnes? Fooled me.

6. Ssmiff

Yeah I like him ok. He's not perfect like the coach you will continue to search for. We were on the line to go up by 1 in a 1 possession game in a hostile environment and should have won the game.
    Knee jerk reactions after a tough loss aren't my thing.
    And who we gonna run the offense thru with Grant and admiral out. Had to spread and try to penetrate to kick our shooters. What coaching move would you have made offensively?

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Perfect? You’re a moron.

Getting no shots for our best shooter isn’t coaching. Acting like a couple of instances makes coaching coaching is what I’d expect. We aren’t well coached. He has a philosophy that players like and tries to instill confidence, but that doesn’t mean they should be shooting.

8. Ssmiff

I asked where you would have run the offense with Grant and admiral on the bench.
    You didn't answer.

9. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Time to turn the page with the program

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think Barnes does his best work in the gym making these guys better basketball players. I don’t think he does it from tip to 0:00.

That being said, he can’t inbound the ball for them.

I don’t know, he’s won a shitload if basketball games. Surely some of them were close or closed out leads. I can’t quite understand this. There’s no denying it’s beyond a trend now.

sbradle4 likes this.
  11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why bother? No single late play beat us. This isn’t about today or any play today. We’re not getting our best players enough shots while guys like Turner keep firing.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He underachieved quite a bit. He has probably overachieved here a slight bit because Williams and Bowden can play, but the game coaching is fairly weak. The game plans appear weak. Lack of 5 man recruiting has been brutal.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think he averages about 21 wins a season. Seems to be a good teacher of the game but in-game is lacking.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

I don't disagree, but we were up at half easily with nothing from Bowden.
    He's mental on the ft line right now for some reason. Missing 2 of 3 was big. Thought he was going to make those since he had hit a couple shots.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Beat UK next week and I will forgive

16. sbradle4

sbradle4 Member

The season started better than I hoped, but I still think we end up being a bubble team that just misses.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Better coaching and kicking Alexander daily would help immensely.

18. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

overreaction city in here. I do think Barnes is weak when it comes to on floor coaching but he's one of the best in the game at player development. There's a lot to gripe about especially with late game offense but this is still a solid tournament team. An OT loss on the road in a hostile environment doesn't change that. The 4th foul on Williams completely shifted the momentum at a crucial point. We have two big homes games this week to get back on track. I'm not too worried about Auburn because their record is all fluff. TBA should be rocking for the UK game with Barnes being 2-0 against UK at home

19. Unimane

You want to revise your statement?

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I said this had to be the year they take the next step with Barnes. Right now, they’re not.