RIP Howard Baker.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by LawVol13, Jun 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I grew up going to the same church as Baker in Huntsville. He was always extremely nice to me and was just a really good, down to earth man. Obviously, his career speaks for itself. This country is in desperate need for another Howard Baker. Here's to a great career and a great life.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

[video=youtube;pwrbcuqr2iY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwrbcuqr2iY[/video]

Tremendous speech by Baker here. I've been told that nearly all of his speeches like this are completely off the cuff.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've never heard a bad thing about him. The world needs more like him

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Neither have I. A true statesman, from all I know and have ever heard.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

People may have disagreed, but no one hated, or for what I can tell, disliked him.

Knew one of his grandsons in college. Nice kid. Biggest dork on planet earth and nothing what I would expect from this guy's lineage, but a nice kid.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We really do need more guys like Baker. You know a troublesome changing of the guard has occurred when even the mention of compromise receives scorn. Sad day on many fronts.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'll take the old southern advice on this one.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Please don't take that post incorrectly. Howard Baker was as humble a man of power as has ever walked the earth. Just not as big a fan of the political Howard Baker as many. Scott County has lost a treasure. He truly never lost touch with his roots.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I'll follow your example and give him kudos for marrying well.