RIP to the Hag

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

One of the best there ever was in Nashville.

RIP.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Man. Sad. We tip our hats and raise our glasses...

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Mama tried.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

One of the true greats

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Dang. He was supposed to have a concert here a few weeks ago and it got postponed til May. I didn't know he was on his death bed.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

[video=youtube;loT_pYzi3Vw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loT_pYzi3Vw[/video]

7. Beechervol

[video=youtube;-jrPgqxMeuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jrPgqxMeuo&list=RD-jrPgqxMeuo[/video]

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[video=youtube;68cbjlLFl4U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cbjlLFl4U[/video]

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

10. MWR

MWR Contributor

Merle was a big part of country music. One of the best.

11. Beechervol

He was a star in the golden age of country music.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

His was a voice unique and pure country, many have tried to copy, but none can ever match Merle's soul.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

One of the greatest.

14. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Dang. Sad day. He was legend. RIP

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Hung out with some guys in Texas one time that were in a band. They said they would jam amongst themselves with Haggard music all night. They said they called it, Merle to hurl. That was fun night.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Here is a post from my buddy Trey Hensley, who credits Haggard with being the one who caused him to take up the guitar. The album he refers to was nominated for a Grammy for Bluegrass Album of the Year.

"Merle gave a quote for mine and Rob's album, "Before The Sun Goes Down". When the email came in with Merle's quote, I am not ashamed of the fact that I cried. I never thought he would hear my music and I never thought my name would come out of his mouth. He was my ultimate musical hero. My dream was to get to meet him. That didn't happen, but I did get some very kind words from him about my music.

Tonight in Copenhagen, we finished out the show with Merle Haggard songs. It was emotional, for sure.
    Thank God for Merle Haggard. A better singer or songwriter will never grace this Earth." -Trey Hensley

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

One of my musical idols. He gave an honest, powerful voice to the common man.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Well put.

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Who's gonna fill their shoes...rip Merle Haggard. Enjoy your bubble up and rainbow stew.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I truly doubt both Haggard and Cash will ever have their shoes filled.