Rise of Skywalker with spoilers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 14, 2017.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Nah, Episode 8 sucked because it was a shit movie. It sucked because it was Speed in space. It sucked because the plot literally never advanced. It sucked because Rey is a super jedi with no training. It sucked because the Rebel leadership actions made no sense. It sucked because Rose kept Finn from sacrificing himself to save the Rebels, because 'love' or some shit; the First Order annihilates the Rebels after that stunt. It sucked because of the milk scene. It sucked because of Carrier Poppins. It sucked because of the lame confrontation with Kylo, Rey, and Snoke. It sucked because when people said it sucked, Rian said we were sexist.

justingroves and fl0at_ like this.
  2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Don’t forget about taking one of the most talented actors of his generation and giving him a stupid stutter.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Didn't he come up with that himself?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I don't think it was ESB. But I like it more than 7 and I like how people cry about it.

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Well if so then Rian or Kathleen should have said no you can’t do that.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Take your level headed minutiae and git. The space fantasy was ruined cuz it wasn't the same as the others.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I assume you've never seen these deleted star wars scenes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Disagree here.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not following. This is a good example of a mythic trope: ascending to a higher level of existence beyond mortality. You think because Luke does this, all of the non mythic themes I discussed are now deleted scenes?

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Killing off father figures/teachers isn't new to star wars. I took your statement to mean you suggested it was.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

In both of those instances, a new father figure/teacher emerges to show the way. After Kenobi dies, there is Yoda. After Yoda, there is redeeming Anakin.
    In Episode 8, she seeks out a teacher, and is rejected. Goes on and does it her way, the best she can. And same for the other example I gave.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Anakin never shows the way. Luke just tries to save him. Like Rey and Kylo.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

But "the way" WAS redeeming Anakin. And it remains to be seen who shows who the way regarding Rey and Kylo.

14. CardinalVol

Have no idea if this week's episode has anything to do in the long run, but man was it good.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't follow Star Wars nearly as much as you, but I enjoy it. I've watched all of the Mandolorian except for the episode that released today, but is there anything significant that's happened in this series other than the "baby" in regards to the overall Star Wars universe?

16. CardinalVol

Not yet. Allegedly there is going to be. Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring from Breaking Bad) is playing a former higher up in the empire and the thought is that we're going to see the beginnings of The First Order.

justingroves likes this.
  17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Okay. So far it just feels like a way to get Star Wars fans subscribed to Disney+ without offering any real substance. I thought maybe I was just missing something.

18. CardinalVol

Your feeling is probably correct, but there is supposed to be tie-ins.

Plus, even if it doesn't, it's a really, really well-done show.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

yeah i've enjoyed watching it. that's enough for me

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It's pretty good. And since I got a kid, Disney+.

But since I'm a Verizon unlimited data customer. Free Disney+.

justingroves and CardinalVol like this.