Rise of Skywalker with spoilers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 14, 2017.

1. TheOrangeEmpire

TheOrangeEmpire Active Member

upload_2019-12-23_14-52-43.jpeg

Attached Files:

NorrisAlan likes this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Meh.

Mostly hated it.
    • Horrible pacing in the beginning.
    • It was Palpatine all along! And Rey is related to him! Let’s make it super obvious super early. Wtf was the point of the other two movies? How the [uck fay] did Palpatine survive Episode 6? Doesn’t his survival completely cheapen Vader’s sacrifice and the original trilogy as a whole? And why couldn’t they just come up with their own bad guy?
    • We are going to create a new hero, and she will take Luke’s place as the new savior of the galaxy. But she needs Luke’s help, Luke’s ship, Luke’s lightsaber, etc. Couldn’t we have just skipped the whole woke, female protagonist bullshit and seen Luke vs. Palpatine to decide the fate of the galaxy?
    • Literally everything was rushed. Remember in A New Hope when they fall in the trash disposal thing? It lasts long enough for you to worry about how they’ll make it out. It’s exciting. Same could be said for the desert scene in Return of the Jedi. This film was so rushed that you never get that opportunity. One second, someone’s got a gun pointed at Poe’s head, 2 seconds later, Rey has done something to save them that happened so quickly I couldn’t even see what it was, and then the scene is over.
    • The Rey/Kylo kiss? Wtf? Why?
    • More pointless characters. What was the black chick’s name? What did they do to develop her? Why was I supposed to care if she died?
    • Chewy and R2’s reactions to Leia’s death. Am I misremembering, or were they really not that close to her?
    • Jedi Master Luke was searching for a map to this super secret place, but this is where his search went cold.... OH LOOK! Here’s a dagger with the map on it! Where to now?
    • Rose. I didn’t like her in the last film, but I liked even less how they Essentially dropped her from this film. Make up your damn mind. Is she an important character or not?
    • Meaningless battles. The lightsaber battle on the Death Star was going no where. What was the point? The final battle with Palpatine has no substance to it. Why was Rey fighting him? Because he’s evil? Every big battle in Star Wars has always had significant substance. Mentor vs student in a new hope. Luke avenging his master in Empire. Father vs son in Return. This one was... granddaughter vs grandfather that she met 5 minutes ago? No development whatsoever.
    • Nobody’s allowed to die except the bad guys. Chewie blew up on the ship... except not really! Rey stabbed Kylo.... and then healed him. Rey died fighting Palpatine... and then Kylo heals her. There are no consequences for anything!
    • Finn knows a secret about Rey, but he’s not telling you! The arguments between Poe and Finn seemed completely forced and manufactured throughout the entire movie. Just a bunch of filler.
    • I knew it was a bad movie when I realized the early parts with 3PO were the funniest and most entertaining parts to me.

**TDCVOL** likes this.
  3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

8 getting walked back to make the franchise more 7ish for the Generation X fan boys (sorry guys) is everything that is wrong with Hollywood right now.

cpninja and IP like this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Those people are the Attack of the Clones of movie reviewers.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m not asking this to jab you SW fans, but of all of the new movies released since Return of the Jedi, how many have truly been on par (even arguably, within reason, and if being kind) with the original trilogy (eg SW, ESB, ROJ)?

As I’ve said before, my son likes them and it’s become our thin to go watch them together, so I’ve seen’em all, but couldn’t you much about them beyond the main characters that everyone knows.

But from reading the responses here after each release, and random opinions elsewhere online if I happen to run across them, it seems like it’s all been mostly a shit show since ROJ, and may actually be getting worse, the more movies come out.

Hence my question, and wondering if I am totally misreading this.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

To many, everything sucks after Empire Strikes Back.

I have enjoyed them all, except the prequels mainly because the acting was so bad.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Rogue One was amazing. I also really enjoyed Solo, but some hated it. The trilogy movies haven't been great since ROJ, though I watched Episode 1 again last week and it wasn't near as terrible as I remembered.

Tenacious D likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

None outside of rogue one.

I never expected cinematic masterpieces, so other than the terrible terrible acting in the first three, absent of a decent storyline (looking at you Rian Johnson) I am ok with them.

I've enjoyed the latest 3 because my son loves it. Ironically enough, when the entire Galaxy shows up to fight the final order is his favorite scene in the final movie, which gives me pause as to why I loved these to begin with and what o complain about now.

TheOrangeEmpire and Tenacious D like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

with all things, the viewer has as much to do with an experience as the thing being viewed. if we are honest, star wars are fun fantasy movies that become less fun as you get older, unless you have the nostalgia of when you first saw one.

I'm trying not to shit on them too hard, even if I find them purely entertaining for the visual effects now.

warhammer likes this.
  10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m no standard, but I’ve liked these most recent ones infinitely more than the few that came out after ROJ (the little blonde kid, the young Obi Wan, JarJar dude, etc.), which didn’t even seem like Star Wars movies to me, save sharing the same characters. They were sort of cartoonish cash grabs to me, tbh, again, the most casual viewer.

I was a fan of GoT’s fan, and those cats ruined - RUINED - that show, basically, the further they got away from the intricately detailed and expertly written source material. GoT’s is no SW, for sure, but the reactions of their fans share an eerily dissatisfied similarity, and particularly insofar as when the hardcore fans persistently perceive the story being sacrificed for silly / nonsensical plot devices. SW is too big to fail - there’ll be lines for every movie, no matter what. But, GoT’s was a Top 3 all-time best show, and which was inconceivable that they could’ve ruined it....until they did. Oddly, many blame GoT’s downfall on the producers rushing the last two seasons because they were tired of it and wanted to quickly move on to SW, which they had been tabbed to produce (and which they were subsequently dumped, as a result of GoT blowback).

And all of this stands in stark contrast to Avengers - which I’m also not a fan of (Aquaman is the greatest superhero of all-time, and it’s not a point of serious debate) - but which somehow managed to satisfy, literally, everybody. I’m not even a fan of science fiction or superhero movies, in general, but that last movie was a damned masterpiece. I’m only saying that the Avengers serve as positive proof that you absolutely can have a rabid and vocal fan base, impossible expectations heaped all around, and still manage to get it right.

Some follow ups:

1. Do you / y’all like the current release schedule, where it seems like there’s a new Star Wars movie every year or so? Wish more / less frequent?

2. They have to get away from Luke / Solo / Leia....but are they doing that to your liking, insofar as new characters and storylines? Where should it go, from here? And, forgive me, but I despise prequels....because it’s lazy, and rarely helpful to anyone, or anything. You can’t advance the franchise by going backwards, by definition, no matter how expertly done, and which is sort of the whole point, isn’t it?

3. Who should Disney give the next three movies to - sort of like how DC tabbed Christopher Nolan to do the Dark Knight series, and which was also masterful - and give absolute free license to let them take it where they wanted? Or, just keep going with Abrams? Who would you most like to see them next entrust with it?

11. TheOrangeEmpire

A mix of Card and IP.

I enjoy the new trilogy because my kids do.

12. TheOrangeEmpire

Gareth Edwards or Joss Whedon

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Well, I liked Finn, and Poe, and Rey, and the gang. But can we just pretend this trilogy never happened?

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

1,2, and 3 have the framework of a good story. The details were badly executed, be that acting or dialogue. But I can zoom out and watch them and say, yeah, this is overall ok.

I didn’t really hate this new trilogy as I was watching it. It probably suffered from having different writers and/or getting torpedoed in the middle.

but bringing Palpatine back? Horrible. Awful. Stupid. The whole point of 4-6,hell, throw in 1-6, was getting rid of him.

I’m just gonna read the Thrawn trilogy again. That’s where Star Wars went post ROJ.

15. TheOrangeEmpire

For whatever it’s worth. Went treasure hunting at Mom and Dad’s and found this gem from my childhood.

16. TheOrangeEmpire

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Last mandalorian is good. Love that it makes fun of star wars.

And we've now started watching ROTJ.

18. TheOrangeEmpire

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'll likely be the only person in the office most of the day today, so I'll be watching the Mandolorian at some point. Interested to see hour they close out the first season.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I watched the new one today with my 9yo, and I thought it was clearly the best of the original story arc since the first trilogy, despite Indy not liking the fighting or kissing parts. And to answer tenny, I thought this and rogue 1 both stand up to the trilogy.

Kylo Renbecame an actual character, the mythology was enriched, and Rey became as good of a Jedi character as there is in the series.

It was rushed in places, but the damned thing is already 2.5 hrs long, so I'm not complaining. I'm not reading they 15 pages to get everybody else's take, but I liked it.