Rise of Skywalker with spoilers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 14, 2017.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Canto Bight scene was a waste of 30 minutes. Looked like something out of the prequels. Laura Dern not revealing her stupid plan. Rose had no business being in the film, her addition added nothing to the story. Leia going superwoman. Killing snoke without revealing any backstory whatsoever. Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder. Cheap, corny jokes. Not building on the force awakens, it is a trilogy after all. Kylo Ren being a weak and ineffective villain. Rey just kind of being there. Not really adding anything to her character. That’s just off the top of my head.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    JayVols likes this.
  2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Benecio Del Toro’s stupid stutter.

JayVols likes this.
  3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Union disputes!

Mmmm. Space cow [breast] milk.

I’ve seen your day. You’re not busy.

Random topless Ren. Because, yea. Star Wars.

How many times should we slap Hux around before it’s played out. In the same movie?

Oh wow, Hux might actually be the only effective person in the whole movie.

Oh, right. 3PO and R2 were present. We should make sure we show them, to remind everyone it’s a Star Wars movie.

What was the point again?

JayVols likes this.
  4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It sucked. It was a big middle finger to Star Wars fans.

There was nothing enjoyable in the movie for me.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Just remember, you asked.

The entire concept of the First Order. Remnants of Galactic Republic somehow have access to unlimited resources in the outer rim of all places and are able to weaponize a planet in the Force Awakens and now have developed shipyards, also in the outer rim, to build Dreadnoughts that are incapable of plotting a hyperspace jump to intercept a crippled Mon Calamari Cruiser.

These massive dreadnoughts have squadrons of fighters, bombers and troop carriers and you don't exhaust your resources on a crippled ship?

The resistance.......went from a severe threat to the First Order to two Corvette Cruisers and one Mon Calamari Cruiser that apparently have devolved to using combustion engines. I mean really, running out of fuel........base a movie on a cruiser running out of gas.

Emo Kylo Ren force skyping .................

Princess Superman

I really didn't mind the take of Luke. My problem is that his force projection makes him look like Ray Stevens and I just couldn't take the finale seriously.

Why kill Akbar, that really pissed me off.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I appreciate the response. Too many people don't articulate any issues and just go "not a star wars film, disney sucks!"

What I agree with you on:

The changing of the Resistance to some rag-tag band of 100 vs a larger force in the span of one movie.

Princess Leia. I don't mind the fact she used the Force to get back into the ship at all. What should have happend, especially after Fisher's death, would be to have her die right there. But it may have been impossible to edit her out of the final scenes.

Everything else I was OK with or loved:

The First Order, how do we know it is just a splinter of the Old Empire and not 80% of what it the Empire was? I doubt after RotJ the Rebellion was in a position to fill that power vacuum, and it was still going to be a big slog to re-establish a Republic.

The not jumping to light speed ahead of the Mon Calmari cruiser? Eh, that is Star Wars. It draws a lot on old WWII movies, and always has. Classic tale of chasing the out gunned ship ahead of you.

Everyone calls Kylo Ren an 'emo'. He is a Sith (if not in name, in practice)! Of course he is going to be emotional and lash out with anger. It's what they do.

Akbar was always a minor character, and the guy that did his voice died. Best time to send the character off to the Great Unknown.

The movie really suffered in the changing of directors and I don't know if they have a writing group that has been consistent through out. It is almost as if this director decided to throw a wrench into everything Abrams set up. That is my only REAL problem.

7. OrangeEmpire

1. Are we going with what is in print or just on screen? Akbar kicked some major ass the years after Endor.

2. Totally get the space chase, the fuel outage is just lazy writing.

3. The emo is a twitter dig, which is hilarious, but the whole force calling old girl on Force Space Skype was just awful.

4. Without homeboy, there is nothing.

I didn't care for The Force Awakens. All Abrams' did was try not to mess up and just played it safe and gave us a bland story.

Having said all of this, my kids adore the new movies, so I will continue to see them multiple times. :)

8. NorrisAlan

I do wonder if people attach too much to IV-VI simply because it was from THEIR childhood and that the movies really are not that different.

As for books, no, I don't consider those because a) I never read them and b) I can bet they often contradict one another, same as the Star Trek books.

And Ren was not skyping Rey, it was Snoke that was connecting them together to attract Rey to him. If I remember correctly.

9. OrangeEmpire

I absolutely adore Rogue One, it's just behind Empire.

reVOLt and fl0at_ like this.
  10. OrangeEmpire

It think it's easy to lump A New Hope and Return of the Jedi with The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.....they're just eh...............

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It’s just not good storytelling to me, and if you’re making a trilogy there better be a good story

justingroves likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

Meant to reply to this as well:

Rogue One is a great movie, and it draws its strength from the fact that they are not tied to old characters. I think that is one of the hold backs of the new "Star Wars" movies, as people have emotional investments in the characters of Han, Leia and Luke.

And Rogue One's ending was exactly how it needed to end, where everyone involved dies for the Rebellion. Oh, and we see Vader at perhaps his most bad ass ever.

justingroves likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Only problem I had with that was that you had this awesome Vader, and then in chronologically you go to 4 and it's a major drop off in his fighting ability.

14. OrangeEmpire

And Vader feels like Tarkin’s pet goon.

15. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Norris, have you, or anyone else, played the 'Knights of the Old Republic' I or II? After playing the second game, specifically, I just can't watch the movies without seeing the lost potential the games tapped into.

KotOR II was thought-provoking. It displays very pointed character development, and it forced you to cast aside the most basic, rudimentary ideas that you're either a really really good guy with a blue lightsaber or a really really bad guy with a red lightsaber. There were moments in episode III that I feel encroached those ideas with the story (and were promptly destroyed by bad writing/acting),but most of the other movies feel so childlike in contrast.

That will forever be my argument against the new movies that come out.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. OrangeEmpire

The Clone Wars cartoon series is phenomenal

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He absolute biggest and most succinct argument against Awakens and Last Jedi is that they were the same old movie with just different, less interesting characters.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They’re 2 of the best SW stories written. I like the first one better but only by a little

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

20. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I really think anybody who's a fan of the Star Wars universe should have one playthrough. They're just so much better than the movies it's hard to describe.