POLITICS Roll v Wade II

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, May 16, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

If a body has never been awake or experienced any stimulus in a conscious way, I don't see how it could be construed to be an individual.

I suppose it is all a long walk to say the difference between being an unborn fetus and being an unborn who has yet to be conceived is materially the same in terms of a consciousness.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If so, then should a woman be required to carry it for nine months?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, it is now a "you" problem because the states are legislating one group's opinion onto another's regarding their own bodies. I'd much rather it be a "me" problem where folks make their own decisions regarding their body and its processes.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i guess i don't see penalizing a body because it happened to come out of the mother later than other bodies. random chance shouldn't be a factor.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no, i'm just saying that the "survive outside the womb" metric isn't going to look too good for the pro choice folks in the near future.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

And, again, it's not just about their body. It's about another life forming that is totally not of their property. That's the debate. But you know that and just want to be contrary.

7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

My problem is that the laws concerning this are overwhelmingly being made by people who are biologically unable to become pregnant. To be sure, I am philosophically opposed to “abortion on demand” and I also agree that the supposed “rape/incest” loophole is questionable at best. I also think that if you know what the rules are in your state of residence and you still choose to stay there then you bear the consequences of that decision. I’ll (thankfully) never have to make the decision to have an abortion but I have a hard time understanding why folks who are so adamantly opposed to executing a convicted murderer are perfectly OK with executing an unborn child. I get the arguments and disagreements about where life begins and I also understand the arguments about the possibility of killing people who may have been wrongly convicted but after multiple, multiple appeals, stays and other assorted court challenges a convict on death row has a better chance of dying of old age than from actually seeing his sentence carried out...

Unimane likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

And what will that mean? In some ways, all this cheapens the value of an actual person in favor of reducing us all to being indistinguishable from hypothetical events that have not yet transpired. It's some kind of biological nihilism. An adult female is born with one million eggs. A fetal female has 6 million eggs. Adult males produce sperm like crazy. All this is meaningless until they have sex, and then BOOM! Now it is a person. Not when it is born, but when it is conceived. Like saying a pile of lumber and bags of concrete stored at a work site instantly becomes a house. I just don't get the thought process.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i completely agree and that's why i don't think the "survive on it's own" should be the metric.

IP likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, I am just trying to make abortion controversial. Busted.

So let's say you have a house with a spare bedroom, and you end up having someone crash there after a party. You haven't ever met them. They are not paying rent, eating your food, and living with you. You did technically invite them into your house, though for that party. To me, you can kick them out and are not responsible for their housing situation. You seem to believe that you are compelled to either house them or arrange housing for them. And I'm the hippy?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

My God.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The majority of voting age citizens are female. The governor is female in Alabama. I vehemently disagree with this law and with illegalizing reproductive autonomy, but I just don't think the "males shouldn't be able to do it" thing really holds up. For me. Personally.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

What?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now, you are saying if someone breaks in, THEN you can kick them out. But if they just squat, you can't. That's how I am understanding your position. Where am I off?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

completely agree. the insinuation is that men can't understand which is horseshit. i assure you i cared as much as my wife did when the doctor told us our kids were going to miscarry.

17. Savage Orange

True, in this case, but historically I feel like my point still stands. Ivey still had to sign a bill that was formulated in large part by males. I’m not saying males are unaffected by abortion but the decision to terminate has got to be a heavy thing... I don’t know that it’s fully possible for a male to fully comprehend the entirety of that sort of decision. As always, I’m open to the possibility that I don’t know what the [uck fay] I’m talking about too...

18. Savage Orange

Just out of curiosity (and with no hidden agenda or axe to grind, I promise...), I wonder what the world population would be right now if abortion was illegal worldwide and very uncommon. I have to believe that the planet would look very different than it does currently.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

See, this is [uck fay]ing stupid. Was the sex consensual? If it was, it isn't a hostage situation. You chose to have sex, you knew this could happen.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You know this has completely different context.