Ron Brown, Anti-Gay Coach

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So saying you're wasting time = saying you are burning in the fires of eternal damnation? My whole argument was predicated on the statements of certainty from Brown regarding the inferiority of others. When did I state that the sense of superiority was a central tenet of Christianity?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Equivalency is irrelevant. Either stance assumes a position of superiority.

You didn't say Brown. You specifically said Christians feel superior, cited examples of people unrelated to Brown. You also explained a rationale for Christian superiority based on after lives.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Wait, I didn't write the original post in this thread, which was about Brown? Strange.

And, that doesn't equal superiority, at all. My position is based upon the equal decision to believe or not believe, like anyone else. People will see any decision that they don't make as the wrong one, by nature, otherwise they would've made a different choice. So, in that sense, I am only "superior" to someone who hasn't made a choice or is unaware or indifferent. If you want to argue semantics, then everyone feels superior to everyone else because no one holds the same beliefs or views. Then, this is just a ridiculous argument.

However, my original point was the idea of certainty expressed by a segment of religious folks like Brown that seek to go beyond this obvious notion of disagreement and enforce others to behave in a manner that fits their belief system. You have tried your best to obfuscate that point by going directly after me, but you haven't proved anything beyond I hold opinions like anyone else. Please point to the manner in which religious zealots like Brown denying rights to those who don't fit their religious system equal thinking people are wasting their time by going to church. You are trying to deconstruct the whole of this argument by narrowing in on a semantic you think you've found while ignoring the major issue I brought forth in the original argument.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Since you're so eager to get back to the OP, do we have evidence that Brown wants to discriminate against or deny rights to gays? I saw he said that homosexual behavior is a sin. I saw he said that it's not comparable to being a woman or a minority. You can hold both of these positions without thinking that we should discriminate against gays in hiring, or we shouldn't have gays on our teams, or we should treat gays badly. Maybe he's said something indicating that we should deny rights, but I don't see it on first glance.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

No one defend religion. Just stick to attacking the person.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

You implied that Christians don't use logic and common sense, and you threw in comparisons to purple dragons. You then followed that up by saying you don't try to make anyone feel inferior for what they believe. Surely anyone capable of using logic and common sense would understand obvious contradiction there.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The belief of God is not supposed to be with the mind, or common sense. The scriptures are quite clear about that. Of course, I know you don't believe in the scriptures, and im not going to hold that against you whatsoever. I just wanted to point out the fact that God usually does not work through one's mind, and that is why we have to be careful when we start talking about logic. Not throwing stones. I just wanted to point that out.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, religion is not logical. On this, the bible and i agree. If being told one is illogical to believe in the supernatural aspects of a religion, they should be offended by God's word, not someone pointing out the obvious. If one has a sense of inferiority by being illogical, they shouldn't be believing in magic on faith. Snake, saying no one really knows about miracles is as logical as me telling you that you can't be sure that I am not secretly a god.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

There are a lot of people going to hell, and its not because they have lived their lives any better than you. God is no respecter of persons, and we also know that nobody can live a good enough life to get to heaven. Entrance into heaven comes by grace through faith. The people who told you that you will be going to hell are wrong because they do not know anybodies hearts and they are not the final authority on the subject anyway.

Religion would viewed better by the non religious people if we would just worry about ourselves and not point every persons flaws. Its not our job to do that. We should only worry about keeping ourselves in line, we cant worry about anybody else. Im sorry those people told you that.

10. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

IP, you and me disagree on the prospects of God, but I appreciate the way me and you have always argued the subject. Respectful and not doing the "im better than you" stuff to each other. I just wanted to say this for some reason lol.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Blanket statements about Christianity based on the stance of one homophobic lunatic do not deserve debate.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That's what makes this whole debate stupid. Unimane is advancing a totally hypocritical position and then he's shocked that he's being called a hypocrite. Cry about Christians having a superiority complex while, at the same time, comparing Christianity to purple dragons is just a joke. Is there a feeling of superiority by some Christians? Absolutely, without a doubt. Is there also a feeling of superiority by Unimane? Absolutely, without a doubt. So, he's shown he's just like them.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There are zealots on either side of this debate that have no interest in logic.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Al Gore?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

To clarify, he compared believing in angels and miracles to believing in purple dragons.

Assume I am Indyvol. Explain to me why angels and miracles are more logically believable than dragons (of any color).

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Faith isn't logical, in the religious sense. The Bible tells me so. Are you saying the Bible is wrong? Just want to clarify this.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They don't have to be believable based on logic. It is well understood that quite a few people do believe in angels, miracles and all sorts of fantastic things from the Bible. Equating that belief to something that was deliberately selected to be ridiculous has a very clear implication.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Faith isn't the only issue in play meaning one side doesn't have to be devoid of logic.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why are dragons ridiculous but angels are not? Explain.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was referring to the OP and debate on gay marriage.

As a Christian who tries to be a logical person, I agree faith isn't logical. I have spent most of my life looking for logic in faith. Almost all logical conclusions to be found in Christianity requires you to have faith first. I say almost because, logically speaking, absolutes are hard to come by.