roster talent "bottoming out"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Apr 29, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Someone made the comment recently that the roster is bottoming out talent-wise.

is it doing so this year, or was last year the bottom? I suspect the Butch classes lost so many guys that last year may have actually been the bottom, with this year being marginally better due to not having a lot of defections from the last two classes despite their lower rank.

the schedule is easier, but i think the line getting younger may be addition by subtraction that shows up on the field and in the record.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You guys can laugh all you want, but BYU concerns me.

It's also why I'll be using the phrase "not all 7 win teams are made alike" this year. My personal analysis of this team is going to include a lot more of how do we look in November versus September in the equation as opposed to complete win totals.

OrangeBlood79 and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not sleeping on BYU.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I made that comment.

Look at the linebackers and the lines. With Trey Smith going down, there's no Butch guys left besides Calbert. They'll be two true freshmen at the tackle spots, a JUCO at one guard spot, a grad transfer or a Pruitt recruit at center and Calbert at guard.

At linebacker, Bituli and two undersized Butch recruits keeping spots warm for Crouch and To'oto'to. The DBs are nearly all Pruitt guys. The Dline is going to consist of three JUCOs Pruitt brought in, two sophomores Pruitt brought in and two Butch guys hopefully making the most of the last two years here.

Darrell Taylor, Reid, Ignont, Warrior, Jennings, Calloway, Palmer, Calbert and JG are the only Butch recruits really expected to do anything.

The schedule is easier, they have a year of an actual S&C program under their belt and I expect 7 or 8 wins because of it, but on paper, the 2018 starting lineup is better than the 2019 starting lineup.

OrangeBlood79 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

on paper, but it seems like the line can't get worse. and I expect the secondary may be improved as well.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You see me laughing?

IP likes this.
  7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

The SEC had a record 64 players taken in this past draft. Not a one of them came from UT.

8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I cant' wait until we get totally past the lasting influences of Lyle. So frustrating.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I think we need to accept the fact that we are going to suck for a minute.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

how long will that take? 5 years?

11. Savage Orange

Considering the events of the past 10 plus years, I think we’re pretty well conditioned to it by now...

Memtownvol and kmf600 like this.
  12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Woohsa
    Woohsa

13. zjc44

zjc44 New Member

Just get me to a bowl this year and beat Vandy

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  14. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

On the bright side, there's nowhere but up. Opportunity is now here.

15. Savage Orange

Lulz...

16. chef65

chef65 Contributor

We won't have the requisite talent until we extirpate Clemson from our traditional recruiting hotbeds.

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Doesn’t feel like Clemson is going anywhere.

18. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I'm hopeful Dabo succeeds Saban and focuses less at Bama on TN and the Carolinas.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Unlikely

20. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Yeah and it won't matter anyway unless we can actully develop talent.