Saban at Bama

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 28, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Memtownvol and lol vol like this.
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If Pruitt is doing this sort of thing, it makes me tingly in the jimmies.

reVOLt likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yes when players hold each other accountable and play for each other, we will win again.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is this sort of thing not standard in college football programs? We had almost the exact same thing where I played, and we were a dinky D-3 program. My favorite was when someone accumulated enough points that they had to show up to the field at 6 am on a Sunday to sit and watch while their entire position group ran and did up downs.

The ones who got enough points for that usually shaped up immediately or were off the team not long after.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t like the group punishment stuff for an individual messing up.

Might as well just put the after this many points these guys are going to beat the shit out of you rule.

Because that’s what’s happening if I’m running for someone else being a dumbass.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  6. Ssmiff

I dont understand making the individual watch the team as they are punished, unless you are trying to get said player off the team and want it to work itself out.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There are other ways to make a guy get his shit together besides just beating the shit out of him.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's often hard to explain to someone how doing or not doing X, Y, and Z behavior hurts the team. It's easy for that person to shrug it off as not as big of a deal as it's being made out to be.

If he's watching his teammates suffer the consequences of his actions with his own two eyes, it has a better chance of sinking in.

At least that's what I assume the thought process is behind it.

IP likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Yeah i get it. Its also a good way to ostracize a teammate so he quits and stops holding up progress of others.

10. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

It’s prolly a lot harder to pull off when the players are highly sought after. No offense.

11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Its a lot better than dog piling a guy in practice after he elects to have surgery.

12. CardinalVol

Did it once to my second best player to a 12U basketball team I was coaching. Went full blown Dean Smith. Sat him in a chair in the middle of the floor while the team ran. Worked like a charm.

Ssmiff likes this.
  13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My dad did this to me in middle school basketball. We just finished practice and he picked a player (worst guy on the team) and said if he hit a FT we were done and if he missed we had to run suicides. I started running before he even got to the FT line. My dad tore my ass a new one about supporting/having faith in my teammates, sat my ass down, and made everyone else run. I felt like a piece of shit and wasn't very popular for the next week or so.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A fair point.

15. CardinalVol

You have to know your team and who you can get away with it with.

And while they were running i stood right beside him and told him it was because he wasn't giving enough effort and that he was too good of a ballplayer.

Funny thing is that would have never worked with my best player, but I could get harsher with him than anyone. Its all in knowing your players.

We went 8 and 0 that year. Played the second best team in the league next to last week on season and had a 24 to 4 lead at the half. Ref told me later we were the best team he'd ever seen in that gym. Was a fun, fun year. Good team, good kids, good parents. Every now and again you get them and you never forget them.

16. Ssmiff

Like Full Metal Jacket. Then Donofrio flipped out. Made a good comeback from the gunshot and became a great actor.