Santorum Ends Bid For Nomination

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by LawVol13, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

no i get your point, your point is that he quit because he was going to lose his state. ya that's very possible, however his daughter's condition seeming to worsen probably played a part as well. you are saying he is quitting due to him going to lose his state, and it has nothing to do with his daughters condition. if that's the case, when did you become a psychic?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

He knew his daughter was doomed for a short life before she was born. He knew it when he got in the race. He knew it 2 months ago. Trotting it out like it is the reason why he is pulling out and not because he can't raise the funds or win the votes needed to get the nomination is disgusting.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Now we can get down to business.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is going to be gross to watch him do an about-face on Romney and start cheerleading for him.

At the same time, he won't be President any time soon so I should just be satisfied with the ushering in of the second Medieval period being at least delayed.

5. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i understand that IP, but saying that it's not part of the reason when no one knows if that played any part of it or not other than RS is stupid.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sorry, I can't stand the guy. I won't judge him on deciding to bring his unfortunate little girl into the world even though he knew she would suffer and die very young. That is a choice every adult should be allowed to make. I will judge him for trying to take that choice away from others and for not owning that the consequences to that were as inevitable years ago, six months ago, as they are now.

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

...or Newt Gingrich bouncing a $500 check to get on the Utah ballot. He is now over 4 million dollars in debt trying to chase Mitt Romney but wants to tell everyone about responsible spending.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Meh. I can understand the sentiment that Santy is using this as a political tactic, but not for this reason. Expecting him to be fully prepared for his young daughter's death isn't practical.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not expecting him to be fully prepared. I am expecting him to actually be the man he claims to be and have put his family first in this crisis a long time ago, rather than trying to [uck fay] with other people's families.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's not a given that his daughter will die this early. People with Edwards Syndrome can live into their teens.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe I'm a fatalist, but I think having a terminal condition that gives you until your teens is about as cruel as possible.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree. I also respect his right to make the choice to have the kid and hope she gets better. I find it disrespectful to her to prop her up as the reason for his withdrawal, which is what he's doing. And, I think there is a very, very good chance that the real reason was Santorum not wanting to lose his home state. That's primarily because there was talk about him withdrawing because of that prior to his daughter falling ill. I wish his daughter the absolute best, and I think he's a scumbag.

13. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

The bottom line is if he was ahead in the polls and delegates, he wouldn't be "suspending" shit no matter how sick his daughter is.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yup.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Agreed.

I still think he would have stuck it out through PA had this not happened. JMO, and I'm by no means a Santorum supporter.

17. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I think he realized that it was very likely he was going to lose his "homestate" so he saw an opportunity to use in order to get out of a potentially humiliating situation. However, using his sick daughter as an excuse for quitting just shows how pathetic he really is. If you realize you're going to lose and want to quit, just make a speech about how you "fought the good fight" like all the other losers do. Don't act like you would still be in the race if your daughter wasn't sick.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I still haven't seen anywhere that he said he dropped out because of his daughter. He mentioned her in his withdrawal speech but not really in reference to his specific reasons for doing so.

Here's the deal. He was close in PA. He might have won the state, actually, as Santorum supporters have been consistently underpolled by pollsters. The problem with winning PA is that they allocate their delegates in such a funky way a win might have still been a loss, or they might have shared delegates after all.

The big blow to Santorum is having Texas as a proportional state. Had Texas been a winner-take-all state (like Florida for example, which gave Romney a comfortable early cushion) the race is very different. When Texas decided late last week that it was proportional, then his daughter got sick, then even if he won PA he still had to share delegates... it was too much to overcome.

The Republicans got their ultimate wish in extending the primary by changing up delegate allocation. It certainly did that. Will this end up helping them? I doubt it.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. my soon to be kids just got tested for it. It's very rare.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Didn't know you were expecting. Congrats! I never wanted kids and was scared to death during the pregnancy, but it is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I had no idea that I could love someone that much. I was more calm waiting on child #2, but I got the same joy as #1. Good luck to you and yours.

Wait....did you say future kidS as in twins? I couldn't imagine double the work.