Saving Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Your probably right. If we could find a way to shove some coal up his ass...we'd be rich.

2. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Yep.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure how well losing by 40 to OU would have turned out.

4. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

That may be a conservative figure as well.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

TO save someone, they have to want to be saved. I don't think Butch believes he needs saving.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I expect so.

It is my opinion that many here underrate either the pride or the talent of the players on this team. There have been several instances during his tenure where the prevailing opinion here was that Butch was already in his death spiral, had lost the team, would just be blowout losses from here on out. It keeps not happening. We've had exactly one blowout loss since the middle of 2014, and it wasn't to the likes of Georgia. We've had plenty of opportunities to mail it in. We've had two three-score deficits to Georgia and one to Florida, we've trailed Florida and South Carolina by double-digits in the fourth quarter, and we always come back and make it close, sometimes winning.

Dooley's teams gave up and death-spiraled, which is probably a combination of Dooley being an a**hole and Tyler Bray leading the offense. Butch's teams have not done that, and so if your "Butch is gone" confidence is assuming a blowout loss to Georgia, a losing record against the bottom of the East, anything like that. . . I'll believe it when I see it. I am very confident that Butch will go five straight years without winning the East. I'm very confident that Butch will not pull a 9-3 rabbit out of this season's hat. But if you think a loss to Georgia is in the bag, let alone multiple losses to South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt, then you're overconfident in this team's failure.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It doesn't have anything to do with blowout losses. It's asses in seats at Neyland. It's going to take going to Atlanta to get those back.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well put. My thoughts are pretty similar. The remainder of the schedule is awful, and our talent far superior to almost everyone left. It would almost take an intentional effort to lose more than 3 more.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And also, John Currie took this job to hire a football coach.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Georgia will draw. It's the best game in the schedule. If we win, I honestly don't think the attendance dips a lot after that.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It will draw Georgia fans. He's lost the fanbase.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The longer Butch stays employed the longer his job is safe. The instant he hires a coach, his job is in jeopardy.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess we'll see. I've heard plenty of disapproval, but everyone I know that goes to the games is still planning on going.

I don't think it's like Bama 2008 yet. We'll be 3-1 when the dogs come to Knoxville.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

A UGA blowout of us will have fans leaving at halftime. An empty stadium except for UGA fans would be the final nail.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yep. I don't think they are capable unless we give them a bunch of turnovers. We can't defend the run, so you know. Chaney will have that true frosh throw it 35 times in the first half.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This is the only factor giving me hope that we might see a change this year. Because I don't think we're going 6-6 or worse.

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I keep thinking about this too. If it really is the case, I can't see how he'd want to wait until after next year. Butch is toast.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

In three televised games, Butch has embarrassed Tennessee twice. First, with a trashcan, then with his coaching.

19. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

His coaching is in the trashcan.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Breaking the odometer against GT was pretty embarrassing.