Scheming Tennessee

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Jan 24, 2019.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

You are crazy.

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yeah, Fulky gives them good minutes. He’s a good rebounder and defender. Not really a liability unless he’s shooting unnecesarily, but he doesn’t do that.

Necessary piece of the rotation, imo.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He spazzes out at times and has to quit fouling, but take his stats over 40 minutes and he"s 13 pts, 9 rebs, 2/3 blocks, assists and steals. Not awful

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

For a team with 4 guys who can legitimately drop 20 on any night, it’s good to have guys like Fulky who hang their hats on loose balls, offensive boards, aggressive D, etc.

5. Ssmiff

Couple games back he didnt look great and had some buddies texting how bad he was. Same time i saw him save 3 possessions with rebounds or tips in just a few minutes of PT, and we scored 8 points in those 3 possessions, which offsets a bad play or 2 in my eyes.

JT5 likes this.
  6. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

He's not bad. 5th on the team in steals and 3rd in blocks.

7. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

I think like you said he spazzes at times and that's what sticks (in my mind at least)

Ssmiff likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Didn't realize Naismith himself was posting here now. Nice.

9. vols85

vols85 Contributor

Why do you think we are hesitant to try zone very much? I know playing zone these days is not what most coaches want to do, but it stops getting beat for layups and shots in the paint. It also helps with defensive rebounding and boxing out. I really don't know that it makes it a lot harder to defend the 3 ball because players are getting open for the 3 anyway by the screens and switching on defense. I am not a basketball guru, but that is just my observation. Can someone tell me where I am wrong?

I believe if Admiral would try to got hot earlier by driving to the paint or taking those 15 foot jump shots instead of firing 3s so much it would help his shooting. I hate that he was probably told he would have to perfect his 3 point shooting to have a chance in the NBA. Him shooting 3s has both helped us and harmed us this year.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Zones work if the other team can't hit an outside shot. It's easier than man to man to get an outside shot because you can overload a zone. Vandy, however, was red hot from outside most of the second half. We tried it a couple of times and got burned both times.

Part of the reason I think Deacon worked with it so much earlier in the season was just to practice it.

11. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Grant has only attempted 25 threes in 18 games. Not sure how you conclude that’s a problem. Besides, he’s hit 9 of them.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

And he’s only taking it from the top of the key. Not like he’s floating the perimeter trying to get a look.

13. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Maryland on the verge of losing at home to 5-14 Illinois. Ouch.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

And like 10 fouls?

15. Ssmiff

Ha. Actually 7.5

IP likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

I like us in zone for a few possessions with pons up top with his arms spread. Otherwise we look small in it and the middle looks wide open

17. vols85

vols85 Contributor

I meant Admiral. I saw my mistake late on.

18. vols85

vols85 Contributor

Sorry guys I was thinking Admiral here and typed Grant for some stupid reason.

19. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Nice travel Fulky