Screw SunTrust

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Apr 14, 2015.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Not one that I haven't resolved with one phone call or visit. Occasionally I get a phone call from some 3rd party that is conducting a customer service interview on their behalf. They usually want to ask a bunch of questions about how pleased I am with their service. I simply tell them I deposited my first paycheck with them 20 years ago and do they need to know anytning else.

The wife just switched after we got married from Home Federal and simply cannot believe she never knew about credit unions sooner.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Generally a good place to keep money you need quick access to without taking a hit. You generally get a little better interest rate than a traditional bank.

However all interest rates suck right now.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

No fees, no bullshit. Usually offer much friendlier loans. They're not a "business" and don't refer to you as a "customer." They're a cooperative and are typically (maybe always) democratically controlled in some fashion.

The main knock on them is that they tend to be regional to local in terms of location, but many participate in agreements where you can do most basic banking functions for your specific credit union at any federal credit union. I've used a local one here in Denver to withdraw some funds from a credit union I have an account with in Vermont, for example. Also, with TVA I can do just about everything by phone or online anyway.

That being said, I do have Wells Fargo account. I don't really like them though and will probably close shop with them soon.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

No ATM fees among credit unions either.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I like American Trust bank from the Knoxville Area. They've always been easy to deal with for us.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Large Banks Suck in general.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My mom worked for SunTrust for over 25 years.

There's a reason she calls them ScumTrust.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I didn't know about them until today. I mean, I knew they existed but I didn't hear people rave about them.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

First Bank is a good one to deal with. They're all over Tennessee, are owned by one man and they're the easiest bank I've ever dealt with.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I prefer a small bank. My small bank was acquired by a big bank. I used to go inside for all of my banking activities, getting to know the branch manager and tellers. They did me many favors. Now the tellers and branch manager turn over every few months; no more perks.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Remember they aren't FDIC insured though most are NCUSIF insured. Theoretically you'd rather be FDIC insured, but if the s hit the fan it's hard to believe the fed govt wouldn't protect NCUSIF just like the FDIC. Personally I won't use anyone that doesn't have check deposit by smartphone. that's all I care about. that and no fees. I have city national for business reasons and they charge no fees as long as you have over $3,500 in the account.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's just something nice about small businesses in general.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the only benefit of a large bank is ATMs and sometimes the technology (if you use it for bill pay, app, internet access). given the fact I never pay cash for anything anymore, the lack of atms isn't an issue for me.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Mine has all those services that you mentioned.

I couldn't fathom using some place like Bank of America or SunTrust. In fact, I don't have any intention of setting foot in a bank anytime soon.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah these days I imagine the technology is pretty universal. I never used the credit union in college because they had one atm and the other ones on their network weren't close to me while wells them everywhere at that time.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Like a small business pizza store owner in Indiana?!?

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have a small business Italian place I play trivia at every Monday. If they decide to make any comments I find to be bigoted, I probably won't go there anymore. Given that our main rival team that we affectionately refer to as "team Neckbeard" is composed entirely of "bears" of the human variety, I think the business just sticks to Italian food and leaves their personal ideologies at home or in the kitchen.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I also don't shop at Hobby Lobby, despite having painting phases. I *try* not to shop at Walmart. I recently got a Costco card in part because of how they treat their employees. Not a big deal.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've never understood the Walmart hate.