SEC Network

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 12, 2013.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Gonna be waiting awhile on that

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Just like a date with Catwoman?

3. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Agreed though it is kinda BS how these channels hold the provider hostage to high rates knowing that they'll be the one that catch all the shit from customers. This is similar to what Dish went through with AMC a while back. Everyone was pissed at Dish but it was AMC that was being unreasonable with their asking price. If channels were a la carte and people could see what they pay for each one than more of the anger would be directed at the channel rather than the provider.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013...and-least-expensive-cable-channels-in-1-graph

I'm sure this link is already outdated on rates but gives an idea of where the cable bill goes. Animal Planet looks like a pretty good deal, TNT not so much.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's espn that really rapes the cable customer.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

With lack of effort they give to programming on Classic, you'd think they'd give it to you for free.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's basically the only reason I have direct tv

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

It's not rape if you paying for them to insert

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

The same thing is going on with the Dodgers and DirecTV in LA so there is no guarantee that the SEC Network will be on all the providers by the start of the season. UT's first two games will be on there also.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

did this recently for dish. got a one time $20 credit, $20 a month of my bill for 18 months and 6 months free of the sports pack (which gets me the SEC network and big 10 network). keep in mind i was still under contract. i just told them i didn't care about the $200 breakup fee.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Does this mean we won't be constructing a community owned shed to watch the games?

12. CardinalVol

Question -

Does DISH have Disney/Disney Jr and Nick/Nick Jr. My wife mentioned they did not, and that is the potential lone hang-up in my threats.

13. CardinalVol

I've already had architects out. Got it planned where we can sit in the pool and watch the big screen in the shed.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm sure they do. there are a bunch of disney channels. but go to www.dish.com to check. no need to be serious about canceling. i never was. I used to do this once every six months or so for at least 10 years. i saw an article in the wall street journal saying direct tv was getting sick of serial complainers and the next time i called they refused to lower it more than $20 a month despite the fact that dish was literally offering me $60 less a month. i also wanted the pac-12 network so i bailed figuring $40 X $12 was $480 and therefore worth the switch and since cal sucks half of our games were on the damn pac-12 network.

15. CardinalVol

No no. If direct doesn't have secn by August 1 (or at least talks its coming, I'm gone.

16. CardinalVol

Well, it's got Disney jr and nick jr. Ifs official, august 1 or else.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i seem to remember they signed the big 10 network a week before the season started. of course i went by this theory with the pac-12 network and they never reached an agreement.

18. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I checked tonight and Dish does not have Disney Jr.

My wife has done said they are out. Looks like it'll be Uverse for me if Directv doesn't get something worked out.

19. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Meant to respond to this post...

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Outside of advertisement and subscriptions how do tv stations and companies make money? Or are these the only two ways.