SEC Season Awards

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by lylsmorr, Mar 12, 2019.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

All your awards belong to Grant Williams

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yess!

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd hate to see what this team would have been without him.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Williams was a unanimous selection for First Team All-SEC. Senior wing Admiral Schofield and junior point guard Jordan Bone were named Second Team All-SEC by the AP. Ole Miss head coach Kermit Davis won Coach of the Year. Kentucky's Tyler Herro was named Newcomer of the Year.

Is Herro a better Newcomer than Keldon Johnson?

5. cotton

Also, I am pleased but surprised that Grant got it. Was looking for PJ Washington because Kentucky.

And as mnay on here predicted, Ole Miss for CoY.

6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Stat-wise, you could argue Admiral would’ve been more deserving than PJ.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

By making first team AA, Grant is now eligible by UT rules to have his jersey retired. If he comes back next year, it’s a foregone conclusion that will happen someday. He’s on pace to become the second leading scorer in UT history if he stays.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Well deserved for Grant, Bone, and Schofield.

You could argue Bone should have been 1st team.

9. Beechervol

Grant's number should be retired if your gonna have that honor for former players.

He didnt just do it well. He did it the right way.

10. cotton

Better than Lofton, who is not eligible?

11. Beechervol

If I had to pick between the 2 careers ( especially if Grant comes back for his SR) I'd pick Grant over Lofton and he was one of my favorite players to ever watch at UT. Both of those did and continue to represent UT well.

I'm not a big fan of set criteria for such honors.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Grant may be better, but I think Lofton was more exciting to watch. That dude could pull up from anywhere, and you expected it to go in. With Lofton, there was no such thing as the "NO!" thought you sometimes get when a player takes a bad 3.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Lofton draining the three over Durant is enough to warrant #5 hanging in the rafters.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just like I wouldn't mind #15 being retired in Neyland for Jennings' 2016 season