SECT Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by BigOrangeBeech, Mar 9, 2019.

1. lol vol

lol vol Member

Upon further review, I agree. 07-08 was a slightly better regular season, and you could make an argument for 1976-77.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Cant agree, Vandy was only ranked SEC team we played that year and ky sucked. Also lost to #15 texas in a blowout. Beat #1 Memphis.
    This year played #2 kansas away from home, #1 gonzaga, top 10 KY twice and LSU best team in a decade on the road. This year UL team we played woulda been 3rd toughest game in '07.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The SEC isn't that much better this year than in 2008 with three good teams this season and a host at a tier below. South Carolina had a losing OOC record and still finished 4th in the conference. The Memphis win was the best win of any between the two teams and the win over Xavier in 2008 was much better than the Louisville win. Plus, they were conference champs outright at 28-3. The regular season for that group was better.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The truth.

5. Tenacious D

I’ve heard murmurings that Papaw has spoken to the mainstays in the Lady Vols camp. According to those rumors, they insisted that only a woman be hired and he said if that’s the case, and they won’t support the best hire - male or female - that he’ll just continue to ride with Holly.

Take it with a block of salt, but that’s what I heard.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not that I wouldn't love their arrogance and stupidity to be justly rewarded, but Heavy's got to tell them he respects their opinion but needs to do his job and pick the best person.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Glorious. Glorious. Glorious.

utvol0427 likes this.
  8. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

If you are the swinging richard and you believe you can make the best hire, I don't understand making a statement by continuing to suck. The mafia dont pay the bills. You pick the best coach and winning will put buts back in the seats. I don't understand how there should be anyone left with that much influence regarding Women's Basketball.

9. Tenacious D

Optics, in the court of public opinion.

Plus, there’s only exposure for Heavy if he makes a move. He risks little to do nothing, which is what most AD’s far prefer, just in general.

If they get too raucous in any decision to keep her, he can hit them with the same card they played to get her hired - Pat hand-picked her, because that’s still true. That would immediately shut about 99% of Tennessee fans up. Particularly as roughly 80% of most Tennessee fans don’t give a shit about the Lady Vols. And what will they say? That he’s showing too much loyalty to Pat’s memory, in continuing to honor her request?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's not the one making a statement, he's letting their statement echo off the empty walls of TBA.

He's giving them the program they are clamoring for. If they want something else, such as the best coach possible, they can say so.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

was thinking about this:

Cotton raised the question of whether tournament performance really effects seeding for teams clearly in the field. If UT were to win the SEC tourney by beating UK and LSU, we will get a pretty good indication on that by our seeding come Sunday.

tvolsfan likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

When are sec awards announced? ACC came out in last 24 hours.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Edit: I'm moving my response to the Awards thread to keep that discussion separate.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Right out of Sophocles

16. Dalekanium

Dalekanium Chieftain

Regardless of how good Vanderbilt was, I will always hold the Vanderbilt loss against the 07-08 team. That #1 stint lasted about as long as a Vegas marriage.

A-Smith likes this.
  17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't want to read a whole lot into it, but according to Sagarin the Vols have played well over the last 10 games. He has us third on his "recent" metric behind only UNC and UVA as opposed to 7th overall. Thought that was odd considering that it's most of our perspective that team has hit a wall and/or struggled down the stretch.

Not sure what to make of that. Of course it's a computer with no eyes...But at the same time, it's probably not as inarguably true as we might think that we were playing much better earlier in the season than we are now. If anything we probably were just reading too much into our complete ownership of Georgia, Missouri, and the like. Also, I think we matched up very well against South Carolina so that helped the perception as well.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Also I wonder if Duke's early season beat down of Kentucky is the single biggest data point driving all the computers to systematically rate the big three ACC schools systematically higher than the big two/three in the SEC.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm sure a win over #6 "recent best" UK helped and probably skewed the average level of play.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's interesting. I wonder how many games get factored into the "Recent" category.