SECT Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by BigOrangeBeech, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I responded to Card earlier with what we need and havent seen. Go back and read for yourself.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Right now Bowden. Turner has still got to play, but right now Bowden is a better option in the starting 5 IMO. Don't pull a Jordan Howell with him.

Johnson isn't there yet even though on skill alone he's fully capable of putting up 25 any given night..

3. Ssmiff

Jalens issues are energy and confidence, and I'm not sure how to fix it right now.
    You see him come in yesterday and first thing auburn does is trap him, which leads to a soft pass and fast break. Then the bench.

4. Ssmiff

Ha. Howell. Didnt he go on a 1-30 run on 3s?

5. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Best-case scenario. Tennessee gets an early exit and LSU beats Kentucky for the SEC Tournament Championship. Add in both Texas Tech and Michigan winning and I bet Tennessee gets a three.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bowden was great against Auburn. Hopefully it continues.

We have a great point guard, a great big man, veteran playmakers at every position, and plenty of big game experience. Almost everything you want for a tournament run.

I don’t care much where we get seeded. I don’t think many teams will want to see us in their region.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Glanced at the stats yesterday, trying to find a commonality to our losses this season, and saw these - but still, understanding that correlation is not causation.

1. The three games where Tennessee had the most free throw attempts were against KU, KY (@ Rupp) and LSU - all losses. We shot 31 or more free throws against those teams. The loss to Barn on Saturday was anomalous, as we only shot 16. This feeds my pet theory that we simply don’t do well against teams who are as physical as we are, and who play aggressively.

2. In our four losses, Bowden and Turner are 7 of 43 from three, or .162%. I wonder if these guys get tight in close games, and are trying to do more than they should....or they just aren’t handling the pressure of the moment as well as they should.

8. Ssmiff

Tenny I dont think that FT stat is correct.
    But we do and will struggle with length because we dont have any. Alexander and Fulk are only players we have over 6'7 who play much.

A-Smith likes this.
  9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The reality is that this team is an above average team that has been able to pile up a lot of wins against lesser competition. Our issues really cost us against better competition. If this team doesn’t make it past the Sweet 16, you can just chalk it down on a long list of other UT teams that underachieved down the stretch.

10. Tenacious D

I’m just speaking from my own and largely ignorant eye test, but after watching every Tennessee game this season, and a dozen or so games involving Duke / UNC / KY....those three are just at a different and higher level, IMO.

It’s just an entirely different “feel” and look, entirely, but which I don’t know enough to fully understand or can explain it. They’re more athletic, for sure, but it’s much more than that, too. They seem like they’ve got five guys who can each hurt you. They look more certain and capable on both ends of the floor. They seem to always be the aggressor, forcing there will on their opponent. But here’s the thing - Tennessee has surely shown flashes of those things, too...but it’s the default for those teams, and doesn’t seem to be for us.

Those other teams can have off nights, and are certainly beatable on any given night...but it seems like you’re either going to have to play way over your head to beat them, or they’re going to have to play poorly, so as to beat themselves. But if you just match them, they’re going to handle you, and easily, 99 out of 100 times.

Maybe this is the best way to explain it: I feel the exact same way when watching those hoops teams play as I do when I watch any college football game between teams outside of the SEC. It might be a great game or team...but it’s almost always played at a lower and lesser level than the SEC level of play.

I’m not dogging Tennessee. I love this team. I hope and will bet on them to win the whole damned thing. I won’t pick anyone to beat them. But I’ve also got to be honest about what I’m seeing, or think I see, too.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

An above average team...that underachieves if it's a sweet 16 team?

Seriously, what does that mean?

12. Tenacious D

Holy shit - you are exactly correct. Good catch, and my bad.

Those are our OPPONENTS stats. I didn’t notice the header changed when scrolling. Which means, getting Tennessee in foul trouble is how you beat us.

Here’s the link:
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/tennessee/2019-gamelogs.html

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barnes has gotten about everything possible out of this team.

Volst53 and Tenacious D like this.
  14. Tenacious D

Agree - Un’s just being honest in what he sees / thinks. I think he’s like me, and would love to be proven wrong.

15. Ssmiff

Rupp and LSU discrepancies in fts were bs. They shoot more than we make, along with guards cold and you wont win many of those. Dont expect the same gap on a neutral court.

A-Smith, Indy and IP like this.
  16. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

What are your expectations down the stretch?

This has been an above average team to good team that will probably make the sweet 16 at best. What types of teams typically make the sweet 16? Certainly not great teams. The great teams are in the final four.

When all the talking heads were calling this a final four team and it makes the sweet 16, it’s underachieving.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

The neutral court aspect is the biggest factor that makes me think those 3 road losses aren't tourney doomers.

A-Smith and Indy like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is perhaps the hard truth about this team. They talk about how they are all contributors... well maybe they need to start deferring more to the star.

A-Smith likes this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s a lot easier to get UT in foul trouble @Rupp or when one of the refs is a fan of the opposing team.

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

For this team to make it to the final four, several guys are going to have to play above their heads for several games in a row. They’ve been able to do that some, but they are clearly worn down and the issues are glaring now.