Sen. Tom Cotton on GITMO

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Feb 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hell no on anything.

Look at how they fixed unemployment issue. Just totally cook the books, but at least it looks good on the news, gains political points, and keeps people in an inflated stock market

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If we round up a foreign national for a crime, and their parent country asks that we return them, we discuss that with the country and come to an agreement.

These guys are nationless. It would be interesting to find out how many have had their parent nation request their return. And I mean specifically, and not in generalities.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like an elected President, or like career military? If our system shouldn't apply to them, so be it. Can we not ensure some process is afforded them? There are guys that spend years at Gitmo that were eventually released by the military and it was freely admitted there was no reason to have picked them up, in the end. Don't think I am necessarily holding the military responsible for that, it is just a blind spot that has developed due to a changing world. If the military folks want a guy locked up, cool. Just charge him, and be accountable to someone. Congress or whatever, if it needs to be quiet.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm thinking none, given that many are Afghani and the Afghani government has no interest in getting random tribals from provinces with existing loyalties to the Taliban. I don't think that really addresses whether some of these guys should be locked up or not, or be going uncharged.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Addresses an apples to oranges comparison, though. And there are/were quite a few Saudi nationals. Afghanistan was a training ground for AQ; it wasn't just Afghani tribes.