Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

In fact, the wind is much worse than the hurricane that went near Charleston 2 years ago. subjectively, anyway.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Be glad you're not in the Northeast. They're getting hit with a bomb cyclone. I don't know what the hell a bomb cyclone is, but it sounds REALLY bad.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I believe it is just a low pressure system that drops over 24 mbar in central pressure over 24 hours (rapid intensification).

10SEvols likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, it's a descriptive word for a storm undergoing rapid intensification. The media likes it, so they use it a lot without explaining it well all the time. Kind of like when every outbreak of polar air became the polar vortex.

5. JayVols

Why those sneaky bastages. I was under the impression laws to arm storms had been passed, too.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Mother in law is currently stuck at the Newark airport during this Nor'easter. Nothing else flying out today.

7. CardinalVol

Happy 25th anniversary of the Blizzard of 93 everyone.

I honestly don't think we even got out of school in West TN.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s crazy. I remember jumping into snow drifts that would completely cover me up.

9. CardinalVol

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I was stuck at Woodmeade off Chapman hwy in my last year at UT. Dating my now wife. No electricity or water for a few days. Fun sledding down the backside hill, but otherwise out of food, water, etc. Surprised we stayed together.

11. JayVols

I got between 18"-20".

I thought I might go to jail. I spent 3 hours digging my '89 Cavalier out & making a path to the road....using a spade. I just broke through to the road when I heard a scraping sound coming down the road. A road grader pushed a pile of snow 3 ft tall back on me. I threw my shovel at the grader in disgust. It clanged off the side. I re-dug out & made it to get kersosene for an old heater I had to walk to my grandparents in thigh deep snow to dig out of a shed. When I filled the kerosene tank, it had a split in a seam and leaked everywhere. I ended up going back to my grandparent's house (they both had passed) to get 10 old kerosene lamps. We stayed in 1 room with those lamps going. Kept in around 54°. We were lucky. Our power line feeds a major glass manufacturing plant. We didn't have power for 12-18 hours. Some folks were out for 2-3 weeks.

That was the only time I remember the emergency broadcast system being actuated. The radio was filled with cries for help. Was wild.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I was 6 so jumping off things into snow drifts is about all that I got.

The ice storm of 98 sucked way more. We cut trees out of the road from day light to dark for a solid week.

13. Ssmiff

People had torn up their kitchen linoleum trying sled. Kayaks. Down the back side of woodemeade hill was like a black diamond run. My roommate took the Coke machine sign and attached a rope in the front to lean back. First kid flew across the street and into the guardrail. Life was easier when nobody gave a shit.

14. JayVols

That was a very nice way to call me an old fart.

15. Ssmiff

It's still in action.

Attached Files:

IP and CardinalVol like this.
  16. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Tornadoes down here tonight south of me in Jacksonville AL. Lots of damage at JSU, basketball arena had the roof blown off. Several businesses and houses destroyed. No damage at my house.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Dang. Hope everyone is ok. That system just moved through here but it seems to have weakened

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Pics are pretty ugly so far. It was light here in Anniston.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We’re supposed o get a few inches of snow tonight

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The hail damage in Cullman AL is unreal. The new car lots look like war zones, baseball and softball size hail pummeled them.