Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You want to come be a salesman for me?

CardinalVol and lylsmorr like this.
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

IP likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think connecting storm damage to construction quality could be an effective pitch. Some folks are too concerned with getting as much house for as little money. Quality ought to be number 1.

reVOLt likes this.
  4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Just talked to my brother in law. 300+ acres of peanuts and cotton wiped out... South Georgia farmers really took it on the chin last night. Tornadoes and 6-8 inches of rain...

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Cousin rode out the storm at Hurlburt Field in Ft Walton.

"It was a good one"

utvol0427 likes this.
  6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'll be building my house with concrete block when I move to Tennessee. That 2 by 4 and siding just doesn't do it for me.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's why I live in a bunker.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I talked to the crew we sent to Tallahassee, he said the area they are is bad, but not as bad as they thought, and not as bad as the places they're showing on TV. They have places to stay, but not a lot of food, so they're giving them a lot of snacks to eat.

10. NorrisAlan

I pray that there were few fools that stayed in the wake of that.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The outer bands are arriving here. There is a beauty to it.

12. Savage Orange

Somebody posted a picture of the sunset @ Mexico Beach last night... it was eerily beautiful. I’ll see if I can lift it and post here.

13. Savage Orange

64652DEC-DEC8-405A-93C7-C2932A5DA351.jpeg

This is it.

gcbvol and IP like this.
  14. NorrisAlan

Looks like a scene from Apocalypse Now.

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I’ve never been in a sky scraper that was flexing in the wind until today. Not terribly pleasant.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, those things have a lot more wiggle than you'd think!

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Had an event on the 102nd floor of the Willis (Sears) Tower several years ago on a windy day. Had to take periodic breaks to lower floors. Rough, but very cool how they're built to sway.

18. Savage Orange

I’ve been in Neyland when it was so loud the whole stadium was vibrating. Not just a little bit either... it was shaking enough that I was scared it would crack open.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

11 dead as of this morning.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

They are interviewing a priest on CNN who stayed in Panama City with his parishioners. They asked if he felt they were given adequate warning and he responded that no, he doesn't feel like they were for how quickly the storm came on... What part of mandatory evacuation did he not understand? Mandatory evacuations were issued MONDAY. The storm hit WEDNESDAY. It isn't going to get any better than that for a gulf storm in October. They shouldn't have stayed and shame on CNN for giving him a platform and adulation for staying. They [uck fay]ing glorify it. I realize it isn't a simple thing and not everyone has somewhere to go, but that sheetrock church was clearly going to get wrecked by a strong category 3. That wasn't the rock Jesus was referring to. Jesus didn't mess with sheetrock. You are definitely the man with a house on the sand in that little parable.

Is it fear of looting? Feeling like you have nowhere to really go (sitting in your car 2.5 hours north is better than staying, though)? What makes people stay?