Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

"[uck fay] Florida and, more specifically, kmf"

- God

kmf600, NYY and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

And don't forget 85

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We're preparing for a close call, but can still get busy. I asked for mercy on the overtime work. I guess it was funny, because they laughed in the emergency preparedness meeting

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

:(

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Someone not too far away is going to also have been preparing for a close call, and will end up with a direct hit. Stay safe, East Florida has a lot of folks who haven't actually ever experienced a major hurricane landfall.

kmf600 likes this.
  7. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

They are reporting some stations are already out of gas. Hopefully it doesn't materialize here.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Most gas stations here are out or have long lines. I don't understand why they go so crazy with the water here. When I tell people, just drink it out of the faucet, they look at me like I'm crazy. And what happens to all the plywood people bought 2 years ago? Seems like that's always in high demand.

Be safe dudes

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah, i would keep pre-cut plywood with fasteners at the ready. Hell, even paint it and make it looks snazzy! Why rebuy the stuff every hurricane?

And if you are really hard up, drink the water out of the toilet holding tank.

kmf600 likes this.
  10. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

I don't get the water thing either. If water will not come out of the faucet I have about 10,000 gallons in the pool or will get the water from the well that is for lawn irrigation.

Be safe as well.

kmf600 likes this.
  11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

About 1 out of 8 were low as of yesterday.

The models are going to be all over the place on this one.

Ridge weakening and that timing is critical - which means a lot of landfall variation. This guy could actually even end up staying out to sea and miss the southeast Florida coast. Will have to watch closely.

kmf600 likes this.
  12. TennTradition

Filling tubs is ok but enough bottled water if you have to evacuate is good. I also like to fill roasting pans with water and freeze. Will help prolong freezer life if there’s enough of them and you aren’t opening.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The thing about talking about the possibility it stays out to sea is that many will then wish to believe that is going to be the case, simply because it would be convenient.

14. TennTradition

That’s for the civic leaders to worry about.

It’s a valid concern of public response but it’s also a real possibility.

I think the right message is it could hit anywhere from Miami to Jacksonville. That’s probably wide enough that if ultimately out to sea that the forecasts don’t lose too much face / public confidence. It’ll get more certain inside day 3.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

On the bright side, models continue to show landfall trending northward away from Miami. On the dark side, it is now a Category 4 and the most recent dropsonde returned Category 5 strength winds...

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My wife was just talking about this. Seems like the models usually start showing direct hits on Miami Dade county, then drift north. It's still important to have our shit together, but I see why there's some people that don't take this serious.

17. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

They can’t seem to get the track in this down. A couple days ago here in Orlando everyone was freaking out. Then it as Palm coast. Now it’s off the coast and the whole coast on warnings.

I am prepared here in Orlando. No boards up. Will wait to see the change again thru tomorrow. We have everything stocked up to include a new bottle of Woodford and Tito’s just in case.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

This storm is pretty bad.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Close enough to show up on radar now:

[​IMG]

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Stadium effect of Dorian, from the NHC:

[​IMG]