Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

We went from zero to holy shit on the snow here in Nashville about 30 minutes ago.

justingroves likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Dude it is coming down

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They closed schools, and there isn't a drop of snow, sleet or wintery anything anywhere. Not in trees. Not on roads. Not on houses.

What was supposed to start at 3 am has now been moved to now. We'll see what happens.

4. Unimane

If you're on the radar for what we're getting, it'll just suddenly pop and come strong. We've got about an inch in 30+ minutes.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Just measured my deck, first hour and 15 minutes there’s 1.5 inches

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Rub on it

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Good thing you didn’t misspell deck.

emainvol likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So, bout normal then?

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

TWSS

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I fear what is coming, then. The 9 inches from earlier this week is not gone yet, and the upper limit of what they are saying is 8 inches tonight. Floor is a dusting, so we are going to get something. Hopefully just a couple inches. That is not what she ever said.

Ssmiff likes this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Snowing like crazy here in Norris. Hard to believe this time last week I has my windows open and wearing shorts.

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I made the joke last night that I was only expecting a couple inches so it means we’ll get 7, which was coincidentally the exact opposite experience that my wife had

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The amount of snow we're getting is pretty wild

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's snowing a lot

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, once it started it was game over

16. Unimane

Still going heavy here in Nashville, too. I think it's up to 4+ inches.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

One of the weird things about climate and weather is that with warmer air, you have higher capacity for water vapor. So when a cold front comes through and pushes all that warmer air aloft, you end up with more intense precipitation, including snow when the cold air mass is cold enough. It is the sort of thing that was mocked 20 years, about "how could global warming cause droughts and floods? Warmer weather AND more snowfall?" And it is because it is all relative. Had it not been so warm before, there would not be such high specific humidity and we wouldn't be getting these big snow dumps this week. Not saying this particular event is due to climate change, just pointing out the relationship/influence of such a trend on these individual events.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It also snows in the winter

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's not stopping for awhile

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

And I am pointing out that it having recently been unseasonably warm factors in to more intense snowfall, not less.