Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Their zealotry is admirable in some ways.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Power keeps popping off here and coming back on an hour later. Headed to Knoxville to a rental that has no power and no fireplace. Yay.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Mine went off around 7:15 and came back on around 7:30. Off just long enough to [uck fay] up the cookies my wife was baking.

Thanks, Obama.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If power outages hit while I'm using my electric smoker tomorrow were gonna have problems.

justingroves likes this.
  5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And now power is back off again. This is [uck fay]ing ridiculous.

Also, internet has been down in my area since yesterday morning and Xfinity hasn’t even attempted to fix the problem. Also [uck fay]ing ridiculous.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah ours just went off. This [uck fay]ing ridiculous.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Rolling blackouts here, we are on our 4th outage today I believe

And yet Broadway and Nissan Stadium were lit up like Vegas all night last night

IP likes this.
  8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If my wife could turn off a light and/or the TV when she leaves a room, I’m sure we could avoid these fiascos in the future.

justingroves likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

That thinking is how we got here.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You guys know how much power server farms and data centers need?

No central planning, these are chickens coming home to roost.

If they privatize, it will get wayyyy worse because there is no money in powering small towns and isolated houses. Folks have gone brain dead.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I think it’s fair to say most people barking to privatize things want “privatized” in a sense that doesn’t exist in this country in any meaningful way, with common sense regulation that is enforced and with regulators that would even pretend they aren’t bought and paid for.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Regulation is considered bad now. They think the benevolent private power company won't shut off when it makes financial sense to do so, even though we know that to be the case. Heck, depending on their structure they may be legally bound to cap their production during peak demand in the interest of share holders.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm as free market as they come and no. Do not privatize the the utilities.

The answer is for the elected officials to tell the far right and left crazies to [uck fay] off and then begin acting like actual adults and not 3 year olds.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

These problems are a bunch of years in the making and it’s not going to change

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Maybe the TVA should keep the Kingston steam plant open.

Also [uck fay] having an electric heat pump for heat. John Ward told the truth.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They are shutting down Bullrun, too. They are just to inefficient anymore, as I understand it. But they need to start building more nuclear plants.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That people act like keeping them open is a solution when they are operating right now as part of this failure is just a trip. Even if you were dead set on coal, you need to replace these older plants. They are part of the problem.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

you’re right.

should retool them to natural gas or keeping them operational till a new project(s) was online for base load instead of shutting coal plants down with nothing to replace them.

I’m not big on any one type of energy. I’m for it all if it can stand on its own.

so that means coal, solar and ethanol is probably shit out of luck.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t know why we don’t retool them for natural gas.

we are the luckiest country on earth with our energy situation

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know for certain, but I can virtually guarantee that that is replacing them in some way.

Solar is fine, it just isn't baseload.