Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

We all would. No chance that shit is happening when I was in school.

On one hand, if schools cancel for wind, the collective (of which…I am probably a part) gives them shit and mocks them. On the other hand, if a significant weather event causes a kid or kids to have injuries or, god forbid, lose their life, the collective would question why they were put in danger.

And they have a bunch of unused snow days to waste, if that wasn’t mentioned already.

IP likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Kids are tired. I know mine is. Days start at 545 and end around 11 for him 5 days a week. He may sleep till noon tomorrow catching up.

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I have no idea how severe the wind was projected to be, but with unused snow days it doesn’t seem at all ridiculous to me. I know of multiple people who were killed by falling trees during high winds. After getting caught in a wind storm in Idaho a few years ago I’d never mock anyone for being too cautious.

IP likes this.
  4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Ominous how with all this threatening weather rolling in, today happens to be the Anniversary of the 2020 devasting Tennesse Tornados felt from Nashville to Cookeville. Here's to not repeating a day like we had 3 years ago.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

The point of snow days are to have the ability to call an audible to avoid operating on the worst weather days. It so happens one of the worst this year is not snow related.

It is odd but this is a reasonable use.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

In Alaska they called out once for cold. -30, too cold for rural bus stops. Again, reasonable.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Backstory -

My dad was a director of schools for a city school district back home. He (and his predecessors) had a well known reputation for never canceling school. It's been a joke since I was 8 years old. I went to school on days when every other school system was out of school. I'm going to laugh over this, even if deep down I completely get it.

8. Ssmiff

back in those days they didn’t have attorneys and families waiting for anything to happen so they could sue.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Funny enough, his old school system is in school today.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Nashville better hope nothing comes of this, though.

upload_2023-3-3_7-59-9.jpeg

justingroves likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I rode out a tornado on a bus in 7th grade, I get it but a part of me wants my kids to have to sit with their heads between their legs for hours like I had to

warhammer and CardinalVol like this.
  12. Ssmiff

Why the ass in the air drill? I kinda would rather get hit with a flying object somewhere else.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My wife was stuck for hours in the basement of a McDonalds in Nashville on a field trip when we were in 7th grade because they were stuck in a tornado. Before they made it to the McDonalds, the wind was moving the bus and they saw a guy holding on to a light pole get blown off of it and down the street. This was probably spring of 98. I lucked out because I didn't go on the trip because I had no interest in spending an entire day touring government buildings. She still freaks out during bad weather from that experience.

justingroves likes this.
  14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You married your wife before the 7th grade?

15. Ssmiff

fell in love over a rectangle pizza

Daddy Gee, IP, NorrisAlan and 2 others like this.
  16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

She was very mature for her age.

But, yeah, I worded that poorly.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Some here might remember the 2020 tornado hit about 50 yards behind my house. Ever since then, the tornado warnings do have me a little skittish. It was pretty terrifying to see in person.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"Hi. Will you be my wife?

[] Yes [] No"

Daddy Gee likes this.
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

No, she played MASH and that's how she got stuck with me. Pretty sure that game and it's results are legally binding.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I spent time living in New Mexico, and got numb to tornados. You'd see them twisting out in the distance, and just wait to see if you needed to do anything.

Eastern New Mexico is very empty. It is a great place to have a tornado.

justingroves likes this.