Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup. Not sure how those without a good support system pull it off.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

3. CardinalVol

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Insurance gonna insurance.

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

6. CardinalVol

Less books = less to insure

[​IMG]

gcbvol likes this.
  7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Was talking to my retired neighbor yesterday and his insurance provider just shut down. Got a notice of 2 weeks coverage left even though he'd already paid for the next month. We had previously given him our insurer's details so he will go with them and not lose coverage. But, it's an ongoing issue here. Insurers come and go, and it often happens in a hurry.

One dirty little secret is a lot of these companies have reinsrurers like Lloyd's of London so storm payouts don't really knock them out. I get Florida is a tough market, but don't actively [uck fay] people over while you're here.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think we are at a point where Insurance as an industry can't function properly because we don't understand the risks anymore, or maybe that the risks exceed a threshold that would make paying insurance affordable.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

We got a similar letter from our insurer round about our old house's 50th birthday with around two weeks notice. I don't know if the age had anything to do with it, but I was less than happy. We had had one claim about a year after we moved in, about 10 years prior. I know you should stop your insurance around for better pricing from time to time, but I would rather not deal with the hassle of changing insurance companies for what has been meager potential returns on my effort.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

If a long time home insurer drops you with 2 weeks notice, they should be giving you a check.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

A jelly of the month club membership at least... Unfortunately, insurance companies run the world, so we aren't seeing anything like that any time soon.

12. NorrisAlan

Hello, summer. Outside sweating my balls off

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

However bad you think the smoke is from Canada on the northeast, it is worse. Bet this is racking up a body count that will be detectable afterward.

14. NorrisAlan

We are under a tornado warning here in Anderson county. Fun

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Crazy wind out of nowhere and I now have a 60 foot oak crushed my fence and laying over my pool

Attached Files:

16. NorrisAlan

Suck! I have had five or six trees on my property fall the last 7 or 8 years. I hope no one was injured!

17. Ssmiff

this is gonna be costly

Attached Files:

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

One of those years

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm am looking to remove my big oak, this is reinforcing that instinct. I'll plant a younger tree.

20. Ssmiff

Wife said they were 65 mph gusts. And it was from 5 to 65 then calm then more guats cycle for about 30 minutes. Storms dropping in from the NE