Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Always fun to be awoken at 6:30 on a Saturday to the sound of thunder.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

At 1:30 this morning, one of the loudest claps of thunder I have ever heard woke me up. I do not remember it thundering that loud when we had our tornado in 2008.

3. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

Was there any damage in anybody's areas? Any reports of tornadoes?

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Very loud thunder this morning in my part of bama,rattled the house a few times. we are under a tornado watch until 8:00 I believe.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Thunder lightning and heavy rain this morning in NETN. This year is the 1st time that I remember thunder storms in this neck of the woods in January in my 40 years. You guys out in west and middle TN keep your heads down Sunday and Sunday night. We may get it again Monday morning. Been a freaky winter. I miss normal seasons. I am a snow guy. This winter has sucked in a big way for me.

Good to see you Count. You've been missed.

6. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Def not looking forward to tomorrow night. I much rather have the storms come in the day instead of overnight

7. JayVols

Night storms are very dangerous. Keep the weather radio on and stay safe Snake.

8. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

oh no doubt, had that thing on last night. ever since the tornadoes back in april, i don't sleep during storms anymore.

9. JayVols

Understandable. I was in an F1 while at a Civil War re-enactment in Aiken, SC around 2002. We were in tents and had no where to go. The funnel passed 500 yards from our camp. Scary shit. We were very lucky. Trees were snapping in two all around us. Nothing like the F5, but it was as strong as I ever want to experience ever again.

10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i understand, i don't care what size they are i just don't want them anywhere near me. before april i was a huge tornado fanatic, always wanted to storm chase. not anymore

11. JayVols

I am still fascinated by them, but want to be far away from them.

12. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Storm chasers are getting ready to move into the area, including Reed Timmer. Storm is shaping up to be a big one. Imo, the major weatherwill be in areas of central Mississippi and central Alabama. Middle and West Tn should see some strong to sever storms, with the worst remaining south of the area

This could become a dangerous weather situation

13. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

are we talking major tornadoes, and do you know what northern alabama(huntsville) should expect?

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd get my helmet ready

15. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i've got a storm shelter in place, but i'll admit i'm already getting nervous. if another tornado comes near me i'm moving out of this area. i don't care if i have to take a big pay cut in a job i'll be moving back to TN

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is me as well. Fascinating, but stay away please

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't blame you

18. JayVols

I'll say a prayer for you and all that will be in harm's way. Stay safe, my friend.

The Tri-Cities area is beautiful, close to Mecca (Neyland Stadium) and we usually have very few tornadoes. We did have some F3's in nearby Greene and Johnson Counties as well as Washington County VA the same time you had the F5. Good area to relocate.

19. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Thanks, I really appreciate it. the more i research tomorrows forecast the worse it sounds. i almost moved back to TN the week following the tornadoes in April but decided against it. I'll see what happens, I may be moving back sooner than later.

20. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I hope that shit stays away. We got enough twisters last year.