Should America Try to Regain its Economic Freedom?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Oct 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/20/americas-economic-liberty-deficit

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Cato Institute should be sued for some of the lies it puts out. Nothing to do with this thread that I know of, but every time they come up I roll my eyes. They're ****ing charlatans.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

How so?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

So many things they put out are deliberate distortions. It is just a Koch mouthpiece.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They should add Mother Jones to that list too then. I can understand you not liking some of their stances, but I don't think they're straight up promoting lies.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hell it was originally called the Charles Koch Foundation.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The institution IS the source of funding for many if not most climate deniers in the US. That shit is 1+1=3 kind of lying.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

And of course, this is the group that said and funded people to say cigarettes and cigarette smoke isn't bad for you.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus their stance isn't that smoking is good for you, but that its not really the governments job to to save individuals from themselves.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I never stated that he didn't start it. He also didn't have control of the broad and his money was only funding 3 percent of the budget.

13. volinbham

volinbham Member

Sued? I assume that's hyperbole.

Do you believe their economic liberty report is full of lies?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

No. Just looking at this particular report, I understand their point on this particular issue. They just don't have any name credibility for me, so any time they come up I am suspicious. You have to understand that I *know* they encourage and pay people to state outright falsehoods on climate change, and they did the same with tobacco products 20 years ago. Both times, their motivations were/are economic liberty- regulation is categorically bad to them, it seems. I understand that in a monochromatic way regulation is always bad for business, but there is more to it than quarterly earnings and market growth.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They state that global warming is real and that we contribute to it. I don't see them as just pro-business but pro-liberty.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Three years later and Volt53's avatar still cracks me up.