Shut it down...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Nov 21, 2020.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t really think that’s the root of the problem is it? It isn’t like he’s been running read option with Justin Worley

somebody who knows defense better than me can speak to that

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's taken Kivon Bennett from a defensive tackle to a decent pass rusher, he had Warrior playing some pretty damn good football and he had Kongbo looking decent before his knee injury.

3. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Remember 3 years ago when the likes of Dave Doeren, Brohm, Gundy and a host of other candidates were actively turning us down because this program and roster for that matter was so bad? That is not the case anymore. This roster is getting close to loaded, the program and university are in step and have appropriate resources/backing. Pruitt has developed some of these kids well, and he’s made the culture do a 180 from the puffmuffins he inherited. This is where we want to be the next time we do need to do a search. This is how GA went from good to great in 2 years with a coaching change, we never had any shot at that with where we were at the time. Was he really qualified for this job? Absolutely not. But has he done some good things and helped set this program up for future success. 100%. The kids like him, they seem bought in from the standpoint that no one has backed out of this season or decided to transfer, they still have his back in interviews in the limited ones we have. Unless he really takes some of these lessons he should be learning and grows substantially and quickly, he’s not the guy for sure. But at least when he goes we might have a shot at a bona fide candidate unlike we did before. I know this all is really frustrating, but I think the big picture really is a lot better than it was when he took over.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Dave Doren “turned us down” cause the fans hurt his feelings.

justingroves and warhammer like this.
  5. Volsdude

The more important part of this is that we were so bad we were considering Doeren in the first place.

6. Volsdude

All of that being said. JG still starting is infuriating.

justingroves likes this.
  7. InVolNerable

That has more to do with who was doing the hiring than who was willing to listen.

8. Volsdude

Currie was incompetent but who was waiting for the call? I really don’t remember anybody we snubbed

9. InVolNerable

Exactly. You don’t limit your calls to those waiting for it or people who you think might be possibly interested. You beat down the doors of the best options and only take a restraining order as a no.

Currie made one call to Schiano, went to the Bahamas for a week, then went into absolute panic mode when shit hit the fan. He was trying to catch the minnows boat side by hand instead of reeling it in and re-casting. (I can explain this one differently if you need me to, @Tenacious D)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Currie thought he had Mullen and didn't have a plan B. He freaked and and jumped on the first guy Sexton threw at him. If he had done 15 minutes of research he would have known what was going to happen.

He should have hit reset for 24 to 48 hours and try to make a good hire instead of a hire. It probably works out better for everybody in the long run.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

And how far in the depths of shit and hell will we be when decide to pull the trigger again? We would have been fine if we bailed out on our previous disasters if we didn't decide to ride it down to rock bottom each time. We'll do the same thing here.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This could be Tennessee Football's Vision Statement.

13. Volsdude

Time will tell. But I think Fulmer has a better grip than Currie did on what a program building and what one burning looks like.

InVolNerable likes this.
  14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

He should have started lining up his coach by the end of October after the Kentucky loss at the very latest, rather than sitting on his arrogant ass and reaching the end of the season with no plan.

In fairness, he told everybody that's what he was going to do, but nobody, especially me, could believe anyone was that [uck fay]ing stupid, so it was discarded as a smoke screen because he had to have somebody really big he was working on getting, right? Right?

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You have to wonder what step in the process Fulmer is on right now.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

My guess is he is updating his Rolodex and watching. Like it or not, this is a throwaway season complicated by the fact that there are not a lot of easy answers available.

Next year is not. Next year we are supposed to win the east.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

He just gave ass face an extension so I'd say still in denial.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Meh, if he wants to "fix football" like he says he's definitely not in denial

19. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Tennessee has had the worst ADs. It still angers me what MH did, I mean if it means taking a year with a temp guy to find a suitable replacement then do it. Don't commit to the first guy that says "sure I'll give it a go". In my mind, that was the watershed moment.

And @Ssmiff I don't want to hear it was Kesling j/k

Ssmiff and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

What step is denial?