Simmons and ESPN part ways

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, May 8, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just a symptom of a culture who does not value substance.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

huh? please don't tell me you think simmons has substance?

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm not really sure what to think of him but he calls out Goodell every chance he gets and that's enough for me.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I've always thought he was pretty terrible.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I appreciate him having the balls to say what he wants, but he's become pretty insufferable. he was entertaining back before he thought he was a media mogul and sports expert. I can only take him in small amounts now.

7. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

This is gonna become a kidbourbon vs. everyone thread, I bet.

But I agree. Simmons has been covering the NBA for decades and still doesn't know how restricted free agency works. Half of his articles are ridiculous trade proposals that will never happen. He has the knowledge of a random casual fan and the platform of an expert, so while he made a couple of good hires at Grantland, I think he's probably the most overpaid sportswriter I've ever seen.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He's terrible.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

No way that was actually the reason for the divorce. He was already making 5 million. You think ESPN would have cut ways with him because he then asks for 6? No way. They paid Rick Reilly 6 million dollars a year -- their margins arent' that tight.

10. kidbourbon

I'm glad that everybody decided to think that Simmons was terrible after he became hugely popular. You guys are mad hipsterish. Where did you get those sweet skinny jeans?

11. kidbourbon

Yes he does.

12. kidbourbon

Simmons has plenty of substance. What is non-substantive about Simmons?

13. kidbourbon

I guess you never saw Rick Reilly.

And you can think Simmons sucks, but he was never overpaid. He's the most widely read sportswriter in the country.

14. kidbourbon

I'm interested to see if he plucks anybody from Grantland. If he were to take, say, Zach Lowe, Bill Barnwell, and Matt Hinton with him, Grantland is done. And Lowe and Barnwell would probably actually be enough. Nobody else really has devoted readers.

15. kidbourbon

I do want to just emphasize that you read that article and thought this was actually about money. I want to stress this because it shows you aren't particularly bright.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah I'm sure the fact he wants a shitload of money , yet generates little revenue had nothing to do with them parting ways. . .

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you can't be serious. he thinks comparing LeBron james to the cobra kia somehow is great analysis.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

widely read doesn't equal revenue. and obviously ESPN felt he was overpaid otherwise why not keep him?

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It didn't.