Sling TV

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by ptclaus98, Jul 18, 2016.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

PlayStation Vue has a DVR-like feature. It's not as simple as pulling up the program guide and clicking on what you want to record and it isn't permanent. Anything you add to "my shows" it will store each instance of that show for a couple months I think. It also has all the major network shows available on demand.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I had sling for several months. It was okay. Had some buffering problems right in the middle of games which got aggravating. If you have good internet, and are located somewhere where you have a good signal for local channels, it's a great option to help slash the cable bill, but I just missed my DVR too much. You can also only watch on one device at a time with sling, unless something has recently changed with that. There are some great positives, but some drawbacks too. Maybe they'll work all of that out soon.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

gotcha. although they seem to be missing the regional sports channels and the spanish sports channels, which kinda sucks

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Nothing good comes from companies buying out other companies, except the bonuses paid to the board members

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that isn't true. It can mean a huge jolt to either or both of the companies. I don't recall bonuses to board members as a part of any transaction I've worked on.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

Regional sports channels are the problem with cutting cable right now. You can get an app like fuboTV and get pretty much all soccer though.

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Being able to pause, rewind, and fast forward during live games was something I missed too when I had sling. Once again, maybe this is a feature they'll add soon.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Sling saves me about $40 a month, and has every channel I watch frequently.

Win all around.

9. Tar Volon

Wow. I had never heard of that, but it has ALL the soccer channels. Decent quality?

Fox Sports Carolinas is pretty much my only hangup for Vue right now. . .

10. Tar Volon

Actually, one more question about that app. Does it have either record or onDemand options? Because a significant amount of my soccer is recorded at this point in my life

11. JohnnyQuickkick

Not sure about that. I'd probably say no off top of my head

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It was kind of a joke, sorry, I'll try harder next time.

13. technovol

technovol New Member

I usually have more than one set going at any one time. Isn't Sling good for one box? At $40 and one set that is not much less than Dish network with a full package and one box (first box is free)

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd save like $15 a month cutting the cord at my current rate. Of course dish might give me the middle finger eventually like direct tv did when I called once a year and demanded my bill be cut

15. Tar Volon

according to their website, yes, but I'm not sure how much you can save. When they debuted in October, it was with capability to record one game at a time, and it would be saved for 72 hours. Which is something but is a little lame. Right now, I'm trying to spend more weekends with family, so I've been recording games over the weekend and watching them on Monday and Tuesday when my wife is at work and I'm trying to take care of the baby. So in order to do that, I really need to be able to record more than one game at a time.

16. Tar Volon

Supposedly, the NHL and Fox have agreed to allow in-market streaming of live games, which should make it a lot easier for Sling and Vue to carry the regional sports networks. This agreement just happened within the last month, and I haven't seen any updates from either Sling or Vue since then, but I'm hoping they get something going for hockey season.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

Supposedly when Vue came out they offered RSN's but it either wasn't entirely true or were removed.

I'm fortunate in that I don't need the RSN's here so much to follow my teams. My conundrum now, where I moved to, is I can't get local channels OTA with my current equipment. Not sure if I want to risk investing in a better antenna without knowing if it'll get anything out in Townsend either

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

so I found out yesterday that I now spend like 1.50 less than a fully maxed out Comcast package, but I'm not fully maxed out (except internet service). So I call them up, sit on hold for 36 minutes to wait for a gal that asked me 15 questions to verify my info and then put me on hold as she pulled up my info. I explained to her the scenario and she proceeded to spend about 5 minutes per comment waiting to pull up other info. I finally told her to just change me to their max package and send me the additional equipment. She then said it would be slower than just going to a local office and dropping off my current equipment to get the updated. Went on to explain that it would be easier to just set up the new while there. An hour later, I'm exactly where I started and have to physically go into a comcast field office to change anything.

Guess what, ima do it (pissed off as it makes me) because the competition sucks too.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

switch to dish.

20. Tar Volon

Update from Fubo customer support: you have three recording slots, and you have 72 hours to watch your recordings. I can live with that.