Smokers (BBQ variety)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 26, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wife asked if I wanted one for Fathers' Day. I, of course, said yes.

Probably going with a Big Green Egg, but willing to hear why it isn't good or why something else is just as good for less.

And go.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have a cheap $80 dollar electric smoker. Works fine for what I do, but I am not a BBQ fanatic, either. I have heard a lot of good things about the green egg, though.

3. CardinalVol

I have one of those currently and love it. Used it yesterday actually. Just ready to go big time.

4. NorrisAlan

How many butts or rib racks will an egg hold? I would think that would be the big thing for me. My smoker now really will not hold ribs well at all, as it is too narrow.

5. CardinalVol

I'll probably go with the large if I get it. It holds -

20-pound turkey
    12 burgers
    6 chickens vertically
    8 steaks
    7 racks of ribs vertically

I can fit two racks of ribs on mine if I cut them in half before I put them on there. One on the low rack and one on the high rack.

6. NorrisAlan

6 chickens? Good lord :) Of course, the 8th will have to thoroughly test the product when you get it...

7. CardinalVol

I honestly wish there was a size in between the large and the medium, truthfully. And I really just want it for the ribs and butts. I may end up getting a smaller one.

We're planning a pool party July 4 weekend. I'll send formal invites.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sweet, I'll bring my car and some PBR.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have a weber smoker and it's fabulous. The big green egg is a) more expensive, b) weighs a ton and takes up a lot of room, and c) not a better smoker than the WSM. only benefit of the big green egg is that it doubles as a grill, but if you already have a grill, then you don't really need that option.

10. CardinalVol

This is the information I am seeking.

I've got a Weber gas grill that is excellent. Really just want something more for the smoker aspect of it.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

There are multiple award winning bbq teams that use the weber smoker. Apparently the big green egg is more efficient fuel wise since it retains heat better, but charcoal is cheap and I doubt you ever make up the difference that way. also you can get the 22.5 weber smoker for what $400 (I have the 18.5)? to get an equivalent sized big green egg you are talking like $1,200. they both use the same concept for smoking, so i'd be shocked if one was really better than the other. people who have WSM are pretty passionate about it too: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

12. CardinalVol

You have presented a worthy case here. Very worthy.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Please post some charts.

I won't be impressed until I see charts.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

on my 18.5 inch weber smoker I've fit:

9 racks of ribs
    6 pork butts

never not had enough food. I wish I had the 22.5 just for the extra space (wife bought this one as a xmas present and didn't pay for the 22.5).

here's some info on the 22.5 capacity: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[​IMG]

16. CardinalVol

If I get one it'll be the 22.5. Like I said, I love my gas grill, and as much as I want a charcoal one, it ain't worth 600-800 bucks either. I can buy a $50 one if I really want one.

Thank you droski.

17. NorrisAlan

Gimme electric. I don't want to have to mess with charcoal for smoking purposes.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah used weber kettles are damn cheap.

no problem.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heretic

20. NorrisAlan

The wood gives all of the flavor.