So Fulmer's In

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by O+W=H., May 15, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

96, 99, 01, and 07 should have produced two more.

Once we got there, we had no excuse losing to LSU in 2007 (or 2001 for that matter).

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yes I completely agree that we should have had more SEC titles. After the last few years though, I just wanna get back there. Even though we lost, the last few years have made me appreciative of the 01, 04, 07 losses that much more. Even though 07 was the epitome of backing in, at least we were there and had a chance for something special.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I really don't understand the hatred that people have for Fulmer though. Yes, we were all upset with where the program looked to be headed with him, and it was more than likely, his time to go, but the man did a great deal while he was here and led to some great UT football moments. He did fall off late, and he should be held accountable for the drop off that we are experiencing know, but he should be remembered first and foremost for the run from 95-01 (73-14), I mean that is a Saban-esque run, minus 1 national title.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

maybe if he had shown a little class on the way out. . .?

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

How un-classy was he on the way out? I thought he handled it pretty well when you consider how emotional it had to be for him.

6. CardinalVol

Fulmer could have most definitely handled himself better the first 6-12 months after he was let go........

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how about keeping his opinions on kiffin et all to himself?

8. CardinalVol

In full disclosure, coaching positives and negatives aside, I would not piss on the man if he was on fire so pretty much anything I say about the guy should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was bad. From saying he's got "equity" in the program to letting the players sit in the press sets at his resignation press conference, it got bad.

10. CardinalVol

I honestly think after 2005 when he started using that word so much was when I eventually started to hate everything about the man.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"Tennessee has the dirtiest staff in college football" - Fulmer

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i remember seeing him on some pregame show and he's going "gosh darnit it's not the way I would talk about people" when talking about kiffin's comments on meyer and such with a sheepish grin. If he wanted to make himself look like the dumb redneck, hat always said he was, he did a good job. let's face it. those type of guys aren't suited to running multi million $$$ corporations anymore. college football is too complicated and too much about media savy these days.

13. CardinalVol

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree, but in Fulmer's defense, the people who did (some still do) make decisions here eat that shit up.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

He is not a villain. He is washed up and greatly under-performed, but he is not a villain.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree. What he did for Inky, the Haag family, the Jason Foundation and countless other things few know about shouldn't be forgotten.

Most should be able to separate that from his coaching ability (or inability)

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's probably about right, but I don't really begrudge that, either. I wish we would have been a little more clutch a little more often, but the guy put a team on the field that was competitive both in the conference and nationally on a regular basis from his start until at least '01. I wanted more championships, but overall, that's OK by me. I've got no real complaints during that time.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes. His main flaw in the early 2000's was not being willing to ride off into the sunset of an AD position with dignity when it was clear he had lost his edge.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

IMO, the most bizarre thing about Fulmer is the one group of people who think he absolutely invented the game of football and Tennessee would not even exist without him, and then the other group of people who think he was/is an incompetent buffoon who was incapable of hitting the toilet when he pissed. I'll never understand this. Truth is, he had as good of a run as anybody's had here, and then after a while it was time for everybody to go their separate ways. He could've won a couple more SEC titles probably, but he did win a couple, and won a national title. And I'm thankful for it. That's where I stand.

And I completely agree with this, he could've retired a hero to most. (probably never to all because of the johnny majors stuff). It's hard for these guys to let go though. I think more than one coach has proven that.

20. tripper

tripper Member

I don't really blame him for that, hell most coaches and ex-athletes don't retire gracefully. Their competitive drive and ego is what got them there in the first place. I have a problem with him because of his vindictive comments about the program after he's was fired. And I'm more pissed about the ludicrous contract and buyout that Hamilton gave him in 2007. Sometimes it's hard for me to separate the two.