So If I was Huepel

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tn_longrifles, Nov 21, 2021.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

No shot. Don't you realize Oklahoma is a blue blood?!? Their message boards seem to believe they can give Kirby a blank check and he'll come to Norman.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's been 80 years since a coach left them, they're in shock

tvolsfan, PilotFlyingJ and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We have said that here about a few coaches in the past, but the days of "Just write a check" are not where we are any more.

4. NorrisAlan

But lets be fair, there are a handful of schools that are "last stop" jobs, and OU is one of those jobs. People generally retire or get fired from those jobs. We only have had two leave our school in the last 80 years, Dickey and Kiffin (this from memory, I could be wrong).

And that is what makes me concerned about Huepel, because the last two that left left because Momma called. Saving my sanity is that OU seems to loooooooove making coordinators into Head Coaches.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Seems to be a lot of Venables smoke with OU.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

we learned no school is that special to the coaching profession many times over the past several years. Some of these programs have not experienced that yet and so still believed that they were.

7. tn_longrifles

tn_longrifles Member

Problem is IMHO that UT doesn't write that check to find out.

See Below
    Salaries not including the Brian Kelly LSU deal. USA Today with national rank on the right.

Where is UTs $10M coach? Is Heupel worth 10M? If he isn't are we sure we have the right one? In my opinion if you want to compete with Bama Fla and Uga then be prepared to pay.

UT should never be less than third on that list of SEC coaches. If they hire someone who has to "prove" themselves to make that then they have hired the wrong guy. The pay should be about 8M.

What if OU offers Heupel 8M?
    Their next coach will make about that amount or more.

Find the coaches worth that and go get one.

• Nick Saban, Alabama: $9,753,221 — No. 1
    • Ed Orgeron, LSU: $9,012,917 — No. 2
    • Dan Mullen, Florida: $7,570,000 — No. 6
    • Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M: $7,500,000 — No. 7
    • Kirby Smart, Georgia: $7,133,600 — No. 8
    • Mark Stoops, Kentucky: $5,263,600 — No. 15
    • Bryan Harsin, Auburn: $5,000,000 — No. 19
    • Mike Leach, Mississippi State: $5,000,000 — No. 20
    • Lane Kiffin, Ole Miss: $4,841,937 — No. 21
    • Josh Heupel, Tennessee: $4,000,000 — No. 35
    • Eli Drinkwitz, Missouri: $4,000,000 — No. 36
    • Sam Pittman, Arkansas: $2,925,000 — No. 54
    • Shane Beamer, South Carolina: $2,750,000 — No. 5
    Its absolutely pitiful and embarrassing that MsSt, KY and Ole Miss are paying more. Forget the coaches names because its the schools that make it embarrassing.

8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Heupel about to move up that list regardless of whatever else happens. Whether it’s UT or some other school, Heupel ‘bout to get a raise.

IP and tn_longrifles like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

100% with you, but keep in mind he just got here and those other 3 are at least a year in and had more of a name coming in.

I think you will see CH get into the top 20 by around this time next year, if he is sitting at 8+ wins.

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

When you realize [uck fay]ing Liberty is paying Freeze what we're currently paying Heupel. Give the man a raise.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  11. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

You have to. It seems odd to give a big raise off of a mediocre season, but Heupel and staff worked miracles to make this season what it was.

10SEvols likes this.
  12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

You have to reward success quick or someone else will. And the market has already changed from a year ago.

13. TimRoo

TimRoo Member

I wouldn't even call it mediocre. It was the best first season of a UT coach since Fulmer (or tied for it if JH loses the bowl game). And that was after Tennessee's worst season as a member of the SEC, and losing tons of players scared of NCAA sanctions.

IP likes this.
  14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Same regular season record as Kiffin in ‘09.

justingroves, Ssmiff and TimRoo like this.
  15. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Imagine if CH had EB and Hardesty on this team. We win at least one or two more.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

But we almost beat bama

17. TimRoo

TimRoo Member

Bowl win will make it a better season, on paper at least. Otherwise it's the same, close Bama game notwithstanding.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I was kidding. Besides the black jersey game, that's the next best thing that happened under kiffin. An L.

19. NorrisAlan

Mudstomping UGA back to Athens.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[itch bay] slapping Georgia was fun